• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ubuntu

Woo hoo.

The best desktop Linux distro -Ubuntu released its latest version 7.04 (codename Feisty Fawn) TODAY. The wait is finally over. I'm downloading as we speak. Will be installing this sweet baby on my laptop.
Who needs Vista and Mac OS when this Ubuntu release includes many of the visual eye candies that a certain individual tries to show off all the time ;)

Download it here http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.04/

I am on it... but tell me will it interfere with my windows operating system. I dont know how to install this baby on my laptop..

I am on it... but tell me will it interfere with my windows operating system. I dont know how to install this baby on my laptop..

Me too, me too...

A suggestion... can we have a Linux party after final for testing out the up-to-date Linux technology? Anyone interested?

I have XP on the main HD and Ubuntu on my secondary HD so they don't mess up one another. I configure the boot to have a menu so i can select to go to either XP or Ubuntu when i reboot.
Me too, me too...
A suggestion... can we have a Linux party after final for testing out the up-to-date Linux technology? Anyone interested?
This sounds really geeky but why not ?
Anything goes after the finals. We need some time off before starting our new internships, jobs, etc.
What about a LAN party ? Anyone wants a round of Tekken ?:dance:

Hey guys,

You may all be familiar with this already but VMware has recently released their 'player' free for download and the VMTN (VMware Technology Network) releases alot of free 'applicance' virtual machines. Ubuntu's Feisty Fawn is one of them (albeit the german version so far, look for english soon). Essentially it will let you run a virtual machine installation of Ubuntu over Windows, for those of you who just want a peek before committing hard drive partitions.

Check out http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/

:)

Mike

I tried Ubuntu once, but uninstalled after one day. I guess I'm so used to Windows.
By the way, I installed Vista as a 2nd system on my Notebook. So far it works fine, looks like they've fixed a few bugs.

plan to install it this weekend.
If you are on FiestyFawn the update is simple to GutsyGibbon[from hear say]. I am waiting for local repositories(supporting FiestyFawn) to be updated before I make my move:D
Other than integral support for ntfs-3g and improved desktop effects(compiz) I don't know of any updates though I'm sure its the best ubuntu release yet.
Btw which distro is most popular amongst linux users here?
[Aside:Not over a month back I shifted from Edgy to FiestyFawn..... another move yet again!!].

I am still on the one before Fiesty so I need to do a clean install again. I got the latest kernel then and it broke my wifi driver. Always dangerous to live on the edges ;)
I'm dualboot on my laptop so upgrading is something I have to prepare carefully.
Ubuntu is the most popular distro in the world and here also (among the few brave souls i know).

I am still on the one before Fiesty so I need to do a clean install again. I got the latest kernel then and it broke my wifi driver. Always dangerous to live on the edges ;)
I'm dualboot on my laptop so upgrading is something I have to prepare carefully.
Ubuntu is the most popular distro in the world and here also (among the few brave souls i know).

You are on Edgy. Well I had to reinstall completely to get to Fiesty(another motivation to make a fresh Fiesty installation could be that then you can simply do away with ndiswrapper[my wifi which gave me helluva lot of trouble with Edgy works wonderfully well with Fiesty]).
A dual boot is no problem at all(and if if there is any unforseen problems just use the live cd to recover data[*wicked smile*]).
A general qs.... are there any Gentoo users here? That is easily the best distro, the only problem being an amazingly tough installation.

I have XP on the main HD, Ubuntu on the secondary HD which is swappable with the DVD drive so I have to use an external DVD drive to install it. So it's a bit tricky to install.
I used to have Gentoo on my laptop a couple of years ago. Highly customizable. I find the time it took to squeeze out my nix box is just not worth it. Ubuntu is easier to customize, a huge user support base and work right out of the box for all the hardware I tried it on.

i really look forward to the native ntfs support. No more FAT for me. i can now read/write to my XP drive. Matlab and SAS should fly on my Ubuntu box.

I've been running 7.1 for some time now. Got a chance to play around with the beta of Hardy Heron. Looking forward for the full release.

Time to move to Hardy Heron. Yeah while I write this post, update-manager is downloading requisite packages. A review should shortly follow!
Ubuntu is releasing new kernel versions way too frequently! Btw other than Win-dose, Linux do we have any other OS users here(anyone for FreeBSD etc?)
Latest update: The transition isn't as smooth as from 6.x to 7.10. I might need to do a complete re installation so the review might have to wait.

In light of the Hardy Heron release, I feel compelled to post the Vista source code... :D

10gidzr.jpg

I installed VMWare and created virtual machine with the latest Ubuntu release over the weekend. The process was totally painless and hassle free. I'm very happy with FF.

With that said, I can't seem to find an IDE for C/C++ I'm comfortable with. I have KDevelop and Anjuta installed but I don't like the look and feel of either.

Any suggestions for a good IDE to run on my Ubuntu vm? Should I give KDev/Anjuta a second try?

I plugged in the secondary drive to my T60 yesterday and upgraded it from 6.0.6 to 9.0.4
It went from 6.0.6 to 8.0.4 then 8.10 then 9.0.4.
It's interesting to see wifi/volume indicator/etc on my Thinkpad work/not work/work again/not work as it goes through each update.

So anyone use the 64 bit version and/or completely run Windows free? What kernel are you using?

Back