• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ubuntu

you can give crossover a try, but when I tried to use it for MS office in general it didn't go too well. Perhaps they have improved since then.

Has anyone had any trouble upgrading from 8.10 to 9.10 via apt-get dist-upgrade? I'm hesitant as I have heard horror stories before (although this was Feisty).

Have anyone used Ubuntu on their laptop? How is it for quant work?

I was forced to use Ubuntu on my Thinkpad for 2 weeks due to a failing on my main hard drive and I liked it a lot. The development tools were readily at my hands and as a result I was more productive then. I can ssh to the server directly from the terminal instead of using putty in windows. Firezilla in Unbutu is lightning fast.
I can even get VPN to work.
Sadly, the fonts aren't good enough and I'm a power email user which means I can't live without my trusty Outlook client.

Have anyone used Ubuntu on their laptop? How is it for quant work?

Hi, I've used Ubuntu for the last 4 years and actually it's really good for me.
Keep in mind I'm not a quant (more a comp. scientist :P - hehehe broad term).
Still, with help of my quant friend I implemented a montecarlo multiasset exotic GPU pricer with GLSlang (no CUDA neither OpenCL, but old fashioned OpenCL); this was 2.5 years ago.
I kinda guess things have improved as well, from all points of view, so my guess is to give it a try.

Cheers,

I use Ubuntu exclusively both at home on my Acer laptop + home servers as well as on my desktop at work.

It's a fine OS, and in fact now's a good time to try it out, as they've just release their latest long term support ("LTS") version 10.04.

Agreed, OSX's probably the nicer *nix in the market nowadays.

Now when this year old thread is bumped: can't resist to comment that OSX, albeit based on good old Unix-type kernel (FreeBSD) diverged quite a lot from a Unix system (just look at those silly file system hierarchy decision), so I'd say it feels rather alien to experienced Unix users - personally, I feel much more comfortable on Windows machine with Cygwin installed, than on Mac machine (also, to get on-topic: for me, almost ditto for those "modern" Linux distributions, like Ubuntu).

I used to run gentoo. Now I run ubuntu (along with windows 7). It just works. I've come to appreciate that... because I really cannot say that about mac os x. My experiences with it have been largely negative, so much so that I advise anyone and everyone to not buy their computers (ipods are still cool though...).

Back