• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM Uchicago MSFM 2024

Waitlist/reject ratio might not be as big as it seems from the posts honestly, most people active on this forum are probably above average applicants IMO
Really thought I had a decent profile with CFA and relevant work ex + good GRE (330), even contacted a few alumni and they said I'd get in, but got outright rejected. This year seems tough.

Really thought I had a decent profile with CFA and relevant work ex + good GRE (330), even contacted a few alumni and they said I'd get in, but got outright rejected. This year seems tough.
I feel you, I thought I had a pretty strong profile too. The anecdotes that this year is much more competitive than before across all programs appear to be true

Honestly, looking at how many of us got waitlisted, I don't have much hope lol. especially there are r2 applicants too

I know where you are coming from...I got CFA, FRM, 3.9/4.0 GPA (stats, math, econ), 339 GRE, 10 years of relevant exp, but I also got waitlisted. This year is messed up to be honest.

I know where you are coming from...I got CFA, FRM, 3.9/4.0 GPA (stats, math, econ), 339 GRE, 10 years of relevant exp, but I also got waitlisted. This year is messed up to be honest.
I guess it is what it is. Combination of bad luck, timing and maybe a little unawareness on my part. Let's hope these setbacks don't matter in the long term. All the best.

I am just wondering where are all the perfect applicants coming from this year. ..

Anyway, good luck to you too, and everybody else here as well.
Probability just better fit in terms of what the program is looking for. Sometimes, it's just pure bad luck.

I'm not sure what the conversion rate is for this program's waitlist, but the case is not rare from what I have seen in previous years. So best of luck to everyone.

Probability just better fit in terms of what the program is looking for. Sometimes, it's just pure bad luck.

I'm not sure what the conversion rate is for this program's waitlist, but the case is not rare from what I have seen in previous years. So best of luck to everyone.
Yeah...but then, if it were just one school, that might be bad luck.

If it were the same with multiple schools, then maybe I wrote a very sloppy personal statement.

But now a whole bunch of us with seemingly strong profiles are getting brushed off, then I can't help but think something weird is going on.

Yeah i feel the same. Like not even 1 is accepting.
I might have to try next year again. Do i know what is inherently wrong ? Probably not. Will I still do it. Yes.

Yeah i feel the same. Like not even 1 is accepting.
I might have to try next year again. Do i know what is inherently wrong ? Probably not. Will I still do it. Yes.
Is there any way we can find out what's wrong?Otherwise even if we were to try again next year with the same profile, how would we know we wont end up the same?

Is there any way we can find out what's wrong?Otherwise even if we were to try again next year with the same profile, how would we know we wont end up the same?
The only way to move forward is to enhance your profile with better work/projects. I don't see any other way. After many rejections, I wondered what more could be done. The point is not to get admitted to these colleges but to use them as stepping stones to your goals. If luck plays a part, then statistically, we won't always be unlucky.
All we need is 1 win. Stay stong buddy.

The only way to move forward is to enhance your profile with better work/projects. I don't see any other way. After many rejections, I wondered what more could be done. The point is not to get admitted to these colleges but to use them as stepping stones to your goals. If luck plays a part, then statistically, we won't always be unlucky.
All we need is 1 win. Stay stong buddy.
Thanks Psyduck! I agree with you that we have to keep enhancing our profiles. My point is: if we can't figure out what are the "weakpoints" in our application in the eyes of the admission officers and then surgically address them, what's to prevent them from rejecting us again next year?

I don't want to mistake correlation for causation, but some schools do have much more impressive placement records than others. And from the alumns I have spoken to, some schools simply have excellent career services that make landing a good opportunity that much easier.

You are right. Sadly, even getting my files reviewed with alumni of those schools didn't help much. Every school looks for different aspects of a candidate/ profile. We can talk to the folks who got admitted and get some confluence.

Thanks Psyduck! I agree with you that we have to keep enhancing our profiles. My point is: if we can't figure out what are the "weakpoints" in our application in the eyes of the admission officers and then surgically address them, what's to prevent them from rejecting us again next year?

I don't want to mistake correlation for causation, but some schools do have much more impressive placement records than others. And from the alumns I have spoken to, some schools simply have excellent career services that make landing a good opportunity that much easier.
Actually makes me also wonder how competitive the job market will be after graduation. We'll have to compete with these all these selected students, plus many more talented undergrads for a few open quant positions. Cracking the top hedge funds would be almost impossible unless everything is 100% perfect.

Does anyone know whether the final decision for waitlist candidates is rolled out week after week until May 10 or all in one go at some particular date around May 10?

Back