• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad

I can't speak about all universities, but where I did my undergrad there was a limit on the number of graduate hours that would count towards your degree. So I guess in theory you could take a ton of graduate courses but you would get to a point where the courses wouldn't be counting towards your undergrad or a graduate degree.

Also clarification joel: I was thinking of a double major between finance and math/compsci (leaning towards math), not math and compsci.

Also, Connor, you said that Smith is a "good" school...
Is that good in context of it being public or is it a legitimately pretty good school?

Don't go to binghamton lol. It's just not a warm and sunny place.

Why don' you go to SUNY-Buffalo. It is probably the most prestigious and cheapest university in USA. If you look at university reputation, the tuition which they charge is just way too low. Also, it is 90 minutes drive from Toronto which is probably the greatest city in the universe.

In short, with all these conflicting opinions, I have decided to screw college and live as a hobo on wallstreet xD

I'd love to hear details/suggestions from everyone involved - more is more :P

Sometimes its hard to tell if you're trolling or being serious :P

Anything more useful? For a person who's not sure where to apply?

Buffalo is a step or three behind Binghamton and Stony Brook in reputation imo.

Why is that so? Buffalo is the Flagship State university in New York State and is the number 1 ranked research public university in New York State. Why should Binghampton and Stony Brook have better reputation? Also, the tuition is so low, it is a real bargain. Maybe CUNY has slightly lower tuition, but I don't think that CUNY is ranked similar to Buffalo in research and reputation.

Why is that so? Buffalo is the Flagship State university in New York State and is the number 1 ranked research public university in New York State. Why should Binghampton and Stony Brook have better reputation? Also, the tuition is so low, it is a real bargain. Maybe CUNY has slightly lower tuition, but I don't think that CUNY is ranked similar to Buffalo in research and reputation.

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic?

I didn't do my undergrad at Baruch so can't tell much about their majors there. I know a good number of Baruch undergrads made it to the Baruch MFE programs and did very well there.
Also, Baruch is voted #1 diversified college in the country for a reason. There are clubs catered to all kind of interest, nationality. Baruch is a commuter college so there aren't much of college life to speak of.

I haven't done my undergrad in this country, so I cannot talk from my experience. From different contacts, I know that Baruch undergrad is business focused. It's very strong in accounting and good in economics.

MFE is loosely related to Baruch undergrad. In other words, I don't think an undergrad student can take courses in the program even if they had necessary background. Some profs from Math department have one class at undergrad as well, only connection that I am aware. Also I cannot say how much an undergrad at Baruch would help in admission chances for MFE. I guess you have access to profs and you can distinguish yourself in those 1, 2 classes ...

Thanks, some useful info in there. Did your contacts tell you how good the recruiting is?

I currently attend UMD - and I see you're in Wash DC.

I'm majoring in Physics and Economics. If you have any questions, let me know!

Awesome! I'll think of a massive list and then shoot you a message.
Thanks for the offer.

Yzia, I'm sending you a message but also posting the questions here.

1) Why did you choose UMCP? If you don't mind, could you give some of your HS stats for perspective?
2) How is the economics prograrm at UMCP? The physics program?
3) From what you can tell, how is recruiting at UMCP?
4) How about Grad School rates?
5) What are some of your favorite classes at UMCP?
6) What are your some of your favorite things in general at UMCP?
7) What are some of the things you hate at CP? Is the general population one of them xD?

Tell me more if you can :P

Also everyone, how are the canadian colleges, particularly University of Toronto?

Back