• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Using your Financial Engineering Degree

It's pretty obvious candidates for the financial engineering degree aspire to be quants on wall street and other leading financial firms. I was just wondering how else the FE degree could be applied ? What other areas can you use it for ? Since the job market for these fields are unpredictable. So what other quant or non-quant jobs can you do ?

I would take a look at F500 treasury operations. I realize this might not be as quant as something directly related to Wall Street, but any firm with commodity, currency or interest rate risk could value a quantitative education.

If you read the series of interview we run with well-known practitioners and academics in this field, you would have seen answers along this line

What other job options should one look at outside of Wall Street where quantitative skills are appreciated?
I’m no expert. But based on the people I have seen hired as quants, bio-engineering and computational genomics are two areas in which highly quantitative graduates can find rewarding employment outside the financial industry.

Interview with Jim Gatheral of Baruch MFE | Quant Network

You can go into energy trading if you are willing to relocate to Houston. You can also go into commodities trading.

If your systems programming (C/C++) skills are really, really strong you could go into Computer Graphics. The rewards aren't amazing but the problems are pretty cool.

Computer graphics as in games? if you think competition in Finance is fierce, in computer graphics for games is even worse.

I see an MFE degree as a hybrid math + comp sci + finance degree. While it's strength lies in a combination of the three for the purpose of financial engineering, I see pretty easy ways how you could market it as any of the other two individual facets should finance end up not tickling your fancy as much as you thought it would, so to say.

It's all a matter of how well you can portray your individual skill set to match the skill set desired by your would-be employer.

Back