• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UW CFRM v.s. BU MSMFT

UW CFRM v.s. BU MSMFT

• Total voters
I recently received offers from these two programs. However, it is really hard for me to decide which program is more suitable for me. My background is major in quantitative finance and computer science with two internships in quant finance. Additionally, one unpublished portfolio optimization paper. Currently, I am interested in asset management and aspire to pursue a long-term career path as a portfolio manager in the US, so trying to stay in the States would be my top option. I think my biggest deficiencies maybe my weak math background. There are pros and cons I consider about these two programs.

UW CFRM
Pros:
1. High employment placement rate.
2. Prestigious school in computer science.
3. Many curriculums are designed for data science.

Cons:
1. Curriculum may be hard to become a trading quant.
2. Fewer math courses.
3. Location and less financial company.

BU MSMFT
Pros:
1. Rigorous curriculums.
2. Ideal location for asset management.

Cons:
1. Many courses are designed for Q-quant, but my career goal is toward the buy side.
2. Hard course with a lower GPA.
3. Lower employment rate based on the stat in quantnet. Hard to stay in the US?

I would appreciate it if you give some honest reviews of these two programs.

Last edited:
I was in the same position and I thought it was very close decision but ended up going with BU because of location. If I didn't have a GF and didn't receive a good scholarship I probably would have ended up at UW.

In my mind it depends on how much you weight the potential of a tech career pivot.

UW is also like half the price so that would sway my decision if I didn't get a scholarship.

Back