• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

visa problem

Hello!!

I am an udergraduate-math student in Asia and will apply to applied math or statistic phd.
I think I can get admission from top10 at least one. After phd, I plan to get quant job in wall st. However, I heard that it is very hard for foreigner to get job in NYC because of visa problem.

I can't know how much it is hard.
Is it almost impossible to get quant job without visa in NYC?

At least you can start with your OPT if the visa policy keeps unchanged in the next 5 years, lol.

Hello!!

I am an udergraduate-math student in Asia and will apply to applied math or statistic phd.
I think I can get admission from top10 at least one. After phd, I plan to get quant job in wall st. However, I heard that it is very hard for foreigner to get job in NYC because of visa problem.

I can't know how much it is hard.
Is it almost impossible to get quant job without visa in NYC?

I think the hard part is to get the job in the US as a foreigner. Visa difficulty is secondary. Big companies generally have no problems in OPT->H1B changes for their foreign employees. So if you get your phd, and obtain a job on opt, then should not be an issue to convert the status to h1b.

I think the hard part is to get the job in the US as a foreigner. Visa difficulty is secondary. Big companies generally have no problems in OPT->H1B changes for their foreign employees. So if you get your phd, and obtain a job on opt, then should not be an issue to convert the status to h1b.

Thank you

What I am asking you is that is it really hard to get job with OPT.

The link below provides accurate, actual data of the Top companies which sponsor H1-B visa and Green Card for their employees.
If you need sponsorship for h1-B visa, you should apply for jobs in these companies, because most probably the other companies are not willing to sponsor the H1-B visa.
This is actual data from USCIS database.
http://www.myvisajobs.com/Top_Visa_Sponsors.aspx?Y=2009

It seems that in the Financial sector the top sponsors of H1-B visas are:
Goldman Sachs - 710 H1-B and 24 Green Cards
Bloomberg - 494 H1-B and 65 Green Cards
Price Waterhouse Coopers - 395 H1-B and 74 Green Cards
Citigroup - 414 H1-B and 18 Green Cards
Credit Suisse - 378 H1-B and 21 Green cards
HSBC - 298 H1-B and 75 Green Cards
Morgan Stanley - 314 H1-B and 23 Green Cards
Merrill Lynch - 253 H1-B and 63 Green Cards
Barclays - 285 H1-B and 4 Green Cards
Bank of America - 239 H1-B and 37 Green Cards
Deutsche Bank - 233 H1-B and 28 Green Cards
Capital One - 176 H1-B and 35 Green Cards

So you should target the jobs at these companies.
From the USCIS data, it seems that the Hedge Funds are not willing to sponsor the H1-B visas and the Green Cards.

The link below provides accurate, actual data of the Top companies which sponsor H1-B visa and Green Card for their employees.
If you need sponsorship for h1-B visa, you should apply for jobs in these companies, because most probably the other companies are not willing to sponsor the H1-B visa.
This is actual data from USCIS database.
http://www.myvisajobs.com/Top_Visa_Sponsors.aspx?Y=2009

It seems that in the Financial sector the top sponsors of H1-B visas are:
Goldman Sachs - 710 H1-B and 24 Green Cards
Bloomberg - 494 H1-B and 65 Green Cards
Price Waterhouse Coopers - 395 H1-B and 74 Green Cards
Citigroup - 414 H1-B and 18 Green Cards
Credit Suisse - 378 H1-B and 21 Green cards
HSBC - 298 H1-B and 75 Green Cards
Morgan Stanley - 314 H1-B and 23 Green Cards
Merrill Lynch - 253 H1-B and 63 Green Cards
Barclays - 285 H1-B and 4 Green Cards
Bank of America - 239 H1-B and 37 Green Cards
Deutsche Bank - 233 H1-B and 28 Green Cards
Capital One - 176 H1-B and 35 Green Cards

So you should target the jobs at these companies.
From the USCIS data, it seems that the Hedge Funds are not willing to sponsor the H1-B visas and the Green Cards.

The numbers of H1B are a good estimate. For green-card, they are undervalued. However it does show the possible issues with green-card application for large banks.
Hedge fund can support easier for green-card but the counts are small here. The main reason is that hedge funds hire largely experienced employees that probably got the green-card already.

Going back to the original question, don't worry about visa at start. H1B will be a formality if you pass the job interviews. This is the one and only thing you have to consider. If you are pursuing certain positions, the competition is fierce.

Back