• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Sadly this isn't a witty thread about comfy sneakers. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got myself into a rather frustrating position.

http://www.razume.com/documents/19618

Me:

UK Graduate, Strong university, Physics. Picked up a 2:2 with extenuating circumstances, and have worked for companies that require a 2:1 (big 4 audit). Academic strong points to counteract this are British Maths Olympiad top 100 finish (not IMO), National schools mathematics team winners and the england junior bridge team (nothing particularly special, but I wanted to prove my uni grades were the odd one out).

My working life:

After a year at big 4 audit, I left to go into Algo trading, absolutely loved it, front office at a small prop firm. Built my own algorithms, including some really funky ones that fully automated data capture, analysis and listed order books to a 5 level depth and then went on to automate analysis of that. have other feathers in my cap.

Sadly the office was closed shortly after I left my probation period, and I was paid off for 6 months gardening leave which takes us up to now.

Current situation:

Applying to prop shops in the UK has not even gotten me past the auto reject (at best), most companies just ignore my application. It's been a similar story with the recruitment agencies, I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. I'm reluctant to keep spamming applications to other companies until I'm pretty sure I'm not doing something critically but changeablely wrong.

I love these logic puzzle question interview style, so I actually look forward to those interviews, if only I could get them.

My question to QN is this: What route should I go down, to get myself the best chance of working in a trading company (preferably Front office, trading assistant style role, but will happily work in Back or middle office, I can prove what I can do and will end up where I should be in any meritocratic organisation). If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I can take any constructive criticism, and in fact welcome it. Bitter medicine and all that.

Regards

T

Back