• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where does everyone work?

Wallstyouth

Vice President
I recently joined Lehman Brothers as an engineer in their equities technology division in the client connectivity group. I'm part of the US team that develops and supports the global equity trading systems.

If anyone has any question feel free to ask also I'm new to Quantnet been lurking for a few months but I finally decided to start posting. In a few years I plan to enroll in an MFE program to enhance my business knowledge :)

Welcome to Qauntnet community. We take proud in our forum for being one of the most informative forums in Finance. Here we try to discuss anything and everything under the sun. Please feel free to speak your mind. There are different categories where you can post your comments.
It would be great to see comments and experience from some one who is working in the industry.

Lets hear more from each other and exchange ideas.
Good luck at Lehman Bros.

Hi Rodrick,
Welcome to QN. I hope you enjoy our community.
I notice lot of our new members are working in connectiviy, FIX connectivity, etc.... Can you explain the group role and what is your daily routine like ?
Thanks

Sure thing Andy, FIX is short for financial information exchange its a protocol used within the financial services industry to exchange information related to securities. Though FIX isn't the only protocol its one of the most popular because of industry wide acceptance. In the client connectivity group I'm responsible for the systems used by clients to handle orders apply business logic and execute them on the various exchanges those including but not limited to NYSE, NASD, Bloomberg, BATS, BIDS, ARCA etc.. Our systems are developed in Java and some C++ on 64bit Linux systems. My group is responsible for various components within these applications we implement changes and fixes as needed and support the business desk when traders and clients are having problems with trade execution. Most of my time is spent analyzing FIX logs, figuring out how to improve latency on our systems, and discussing new and emerging technologies coming down the pipe.

I'm still learning a lot so I hope I was able to provide you with a semi decent explanation of what exactly Client Connectivity groups provide.

Iam currently working in Retail Banking at Chase for the time being. I have a Finance Degree but iam looking for job that can have a possible career in financial engineering. Enough about me, iam more intrested to hear from more interesting people.:thumbsup:

Hi QUANTS

hi ........... I m new to this forum .... very intresting to meet all the aspiring quants in this blog ! okay - i am working as a business analyst with a financial services company for one month (i just graduated with my MBA in finance) .......... i am taking gre and applying for MFE for fall 08 admissions ........... i want to work in quantitative investment management / quantatative researcher in asset management ...my target companies r barclays,lehman,goldman........ can any one one please tell me which schools should i apply and how r they reputed on wall street ?

thanks

I work for Fidelity Investments as an analyst. Will try for FE this year. I am placed in India.

Hi everyone, I work for Progress/Apama realtime division. Apama delivers Complex Event Processing solution to capital markets so all quant users can build trading models using an industrial strength platform. I work in consulting service team to deploy trading platform and help our capital market users to build trading algorithms. Every price change is an event. Every event can potentially trigger an action. Pattern of events can be recognized under 1 ms as events are coming in from market. When you see a price change on screen, you are already late.

Interning

Hi everyone, I'm still completing my bachelors in finance with a minor in math, but am currently interning at New York Life Insurance Company as a financial advisor in west Michigan. What type of internships does everyone recommend, besides advising/consulting, for good preparation to the MFE? Thx

Back