• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where to start?

Im probably the odd-one-out member of this website because I am just about 2 start my undergrad education!I want to become a quant but i don't know which route to take.I am really good at physics(particulary applied physics) and really love it(my passion).I am also very good at math but it bores me.My enquiry to people is,-should i go for a math BS or a follow my physics passion to become a quant.And if you think I should do physics,should i do applied(electrical,mechanical engineering)or i should persue pure,theoretical physics.HELP!!

First welcome to the forum!

Please check out this thread which deals with a similar case:https://www.quantnet.com/threads/young-person-seeking-advise.3868/

You never know how things will change so in undergrad you should study something that interests you. I suggest going for physics if you love it.

Whether theoretical or applied is up to, both could be useful in a quant role. I don't know anything about this really but I would think getting a non-quant job with engineering would be easier than with theoretical physics. But theoretical physics sounds more interesting to me. At the end of the day I would recommend taking courses in both and deciding on which one interested you most.

But MFEs and quant roles require lots of math. So if you were to double major in mathematics or get a minor in it this would help you.

Computer programming skills are also important for quants. You should get some exposure in this doing physics and/or math, but taking an extra CS class or two or minoring in computer science would be helpful.

Lastly, there is the finance/economics aspect. This stuff is in my opinion easier to learn than the stuff mentioned above so give it a lower priority. But taking a few finance/economics classes (or minoring in them) would be useful. It is important to show an interest and basic understanding of finance.

You should get some practical UG education in case demand for quants declines considerably.

If I could do it all over again I would have majored in Applied Math or Statistics, minor in Finance. Also, I would have taken a few classes in Computer Science to learn C++ programming and algorithms and a couple of classes in Computer Engineering to learn some hardware. You will also need MATLAB.

Back