• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

which book to read after "C++ how to program, 5th edition"?

roni

Cornell FE
I already read 600 pages and am supposed to finish reading the book by the end of next month.

I got to say that this book is amazing for beginners. I knew a little C and Pascal before. However, I wasn't able to read many of the other books that categorize themselves "for beginners". This book is just easy to read+understand.

After I am finished with this book, which one should I start reading?

There are two interesting books:

1) C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design

OR

2) C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures

I guess the second one is more advanced. But I am not sure if the first one is the exact thing of "C++ How To Program"

Any suggestions which book I should read next ? maybe a different one ?

Thanks,
Roni.

I recommend Joshi and Meyer's Effective C++ books. But like Alain said, you're best bet is to take pride in the 600 pages of C++ how to you've already read and just code. Pick some models and code them. While you're at it build some derivative or bond pricing engines. Once you've done that, I think you'll get more out of further reading.

I recommend Joshi and Meyer's Effective C++ books. But like Alain said, you're best bet is to take pride in the 600 pages of C++ how to you've already read and just code. Pick some models and code them. While you're at it build some derivative or bond pricing engines. Once you've done that, I think you'll get more out of further reading.
i see, thank you guys.
Do you have any websites that can help me code ? models/existing codes?

Do you think the one book I will finish reading soon will put me in a level where I'll be able to code derivative or bond pricing engines ?? Actually, coding binomial trees, or the black-scholes model is doable...
but, if I want to make them presentable/add some charts/graphs, I'll need to read some more advanced book, don't you think so ?
I've been coding the simple things but I haven't gotten to graphics or any Windows look codings and its bothering me... perhaps I'll see this later on in the book....

NO NO NO!!! NO user interface!!!

make sure you learn how to code well, how to solve problems with the computer. Get the data structures and the algorithms right.

NO NO NO!!! NO user interface!!!

make sure you learn how to code well, how to solve problems with the computer. Get the data structures and the algorithms right.
LOL, why so anti "user interface" ?? what's wrong about that ?

can't I code with user interface? quants don't do that ?

Learning "How to Code" is one "small" part of the problem solution you pretend to find/give.
Algorithms / Abstract Data Structures are very important as well and I would add something that from my experience that is quite important also when you want to transmit your ideas ---> PSEUDOCODING
book suggest. ALGORITHMS by Cormen

Learning "How to Code" is one "small" part of the problem solution you pretend to find/give.
Algorithms / Abstract Data Structures are very important as well and I would add something that from my experience that is quite important also when you want to transmit your ideas ---> PSEUDOCODING
book suggest. ALGORITHMS by Cormen
Looks like a good book... I downloaded the pdf file and looks like it doesn't use the C++ coding, right ? but it doesn't really matter because I can apply it to c++....

Now, what is "Abstract Data Structures" ??? is it some advanced Data Structures ??
will the algorithms book you suggested cover this ???

Thanks,
Roni.

UI programming teaches one how to work with threads.

Back