• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which is better: Graduate Probability or Complex Variables?

All:

Which do you think would help me prepare the most for a MFE?

A graduate-level probability class (in this case I would have 4 probability classes overall, 2 undergraduate-level and 2 graduate-level by the time I end my degree), or complex variables? I'll be attending a Stochastic Processes class, albeit not for credit, as well.

Other options:

Taking 2 graduate-level mathematics programming classes, or re-take honors calculus.

Thanks.

The 2 graduate-level mathematics programming classes sound promising. Doing well on graduate-level math courses will look good on your application.

The problem is that the course is mostly guided towards applied mathematics in Matlab, not exactly C++ or any related course.

Do you think that having 4 probability classes would be overkill?

The problem is that the course is mostly guided towards applied mathematics in Matlab, not exactly C++ or any related course.

Do you think that having 4 probability classes would be overkill?

Yeah I think 4 probability courses is overkill. Unless the material is in the grad classes are more advanced, which I doubt. Advanced probability is just stochastic which you are taking already.

In finance, Matlab is used mostly for prototyping, and even that is relatively rare. For employment purposes, 80% of jobs require knopwledge of C++, maybe 5% knowledge of Matlab.

In finance, Matlab is used mostly for prototyping, and even that is relatively rare. For employment purposes, 80% of jobs require knopwledge of C++, maybe 5% knowledge of Matlab.

This is the reason why I don't think it will be useful to spend my time learning Matlab, especially because I do know how to program quite well in C++ and C#.

Yeah I think 4 probability courses is overkill. Unless the material is in the grad classes are more advanced, which I doubt. Advanced probability is just stochastic which you are taking already.

They are more advanced, obviously. They cover a lot more material, and a lot more distributions than in the undergrad class.

Furthermore, the course is given at a higher level: while my undergrad courses are calculus-based, the graduate-level course focuses a lot more on multivariate distributions and estimation.

Which I think would be extremely useful, since one often needs to understand and model the stochastic processes behind multi-dimensional problems in finance.

Furthermore, probability is at the heart of financial engineering, without a firm grip on all of its facets I find it difficult to believe one would be a great financial engineer.

Matlab is used in many MFE programs and in practice.

I agree, but if I want to do rapid programming I'd probably prefer to work with C# than with Matlab, since I'm a lot more proficient at C# than I'll be with Matlab even after taking a class in it. Having to learn all the libraries I believe would significantly hinder my performance at first.

Back