• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which Linux distribution should I install?

Shlomi

SuperDerivatives
I want to install linux on my computer as a virtual machine.
Since I dont really know the difference between them, and there are tens if not hundreds of different ones, can anyone recommend on a certain one? Or at least tell what is your favorite?

The famed Ubuntu is my favorite so far. Haven't tried the server capabilities, but it works great as a workstation on my Thinkpad.

I want to install linux on my computer as a virtual machine.
Since I dont really know the difference between them, and there are tens if not hundreds of different ones, can anyone recommend on a certain one? Or at least tell what is your favorite?

Shlomi wanting to install Linux? What's going on here?

Shlomi wanting to install Linux? What's going on here?

I have a new Mac, so thought about having Linux on a virtual machine. I have 1TB hard drive and don't know what to do with all this space...

I have a new Mac, so thought about having Linux on a virtual machine. I have 1TB hard drive and don't know what to do with all this space...

By the way, I recommend Ubuntu.

I would go with SuSE. I find Ubuntu is too simple for some and way not as simple for many other applications.

iMac doesn't come with OS/X?

It is, I don't plan to use the Linux as the primary OS

Ubuntu. It's the most polished distro out there.

Enterprise level Linux is provided primarily by RedHat. This includes the support and other belts and whistles around the core OS.
For personal use, Ubuntu is the best option.

You can check this site for the popularity rankings: http://distrowatch.com/.
If anything, burn a couple of your choice and try out the live CD's.

That's very true. I did that with a few distros recently and still came up with ubuntu.

I think the most important thing in Linux distros (in no particular order) is
a. hardware recognition
b. package distribution
I don't think anyone has better package management than Ubuntu. Obviously, very close to Debian, but I wouldn't touch Red Hat's with a 10-foot pole. They get you into those circular dependancies in which nothing works!

I was a long time DIY'er and I had to just wipe old distros (e.g. Gentoo) because I didn't have the time or interest to worry about all the little settings, and the time it took to install a piece of software... with no discernible benefit in performance!

I choose a distro based on its package management system, and by far apt is the slickest and fastest so any distro based on debian is fine, *buntu etc... rpm based derivatives come in second as they have the coporate backings as well as a large user base such as Fedora,Suse etc...

Back