• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which PhD to become algorithmic trader?

What should i study for my phd to become an algorithmic trader? Econometrics? Math? Statistics?

I've heard Comp Sci works well... High Energy Physics works too... Some form of Electrical/Computer/Systems Engineering perhaps?

thanks for the help dick
Did you mention that you are only 14 and not 30 as your profile says? There is absolutely no need for foul language on Quantnet.

If you read around this site and other quant forums frequented by experienced finance professionals, it's commonly agreed that people should not do PhD for the sole purpose of getting a job in the industry. Reasons are many but money should not be the main motivator for doing PhD.

Did you mention that you are only 14 and not 30 as your profile says? There is absolutely no need for foul language on Quantnet.

If you read around this site and other quant forums frequented by experienced finance professionals, it's commonly agreed that people should not do PhD for the sole purpose of getting a job in the industry. Reasons are many but money should not be the main motivator for doing PhD.

I agree with the foul language portion. this is one of my favorite parts of quantnet, the maturity everyone exudes

money is a motivator but not the main motivator. i find algorithmic trading very interesting

Well algo trading is not an academic field. There are plenty of disciplines in algo trading--the models (physics), the data (statistics), the implementation of the algorithm (compsci), etc...

Pick something you're truly passionate about and do your research on algotrading.

I have heard of numerous courses that specialize in Artificial Intelligence, Parallel computing, etc. But I doubt you'll find any PhD with a focus on trading. Algo trading is simply an application of the above fields.

i had a 3.98 in middle school and have aced 11 of the past 12 sols [same thing as finals]

i had a 3.98 in middle school and have aced 11 of the past 12 sols [same thing as finals]
Great, keep the good work. Now, try to be creative. Do some research, pick a topic and learn everything about it.

Getting a phd in applied math or statistics won't satisfy you if your goal is to become an algorithmic trader. You need to find a broader interest in a certain phd and be motivated because your interested in the broader subject. If after you finish your phd you want to apply what you learned to algorithmic trading you sure can but you can't go into a phd program with the sole intention of becoming an algorithmic trader unless you are also enthusiastic about the entire program.

Algorithmic trading is a very specialized field but also a multi dimensional one. Like Ilya said,
There are plenty of disciplines in algo trading--the models (physics), the data (statistics), the implementation of the algorithm (compsci), etc...
There are a couple areas algo trading pulls from, although Econometrics isn't really one of them.

Bottom line: You certainly can become an algo-trader with a applied math/CS/statistics phd. Going into undergraduate your best bet is to do an applied math major or a CS one. Both of those should prepare you for an applied math statistics cs phd and evetually to become an algo trader.

Back