• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Who Owns the Future?

True.

If you don't share the same spirit and courage answering new challenges/threats from oversea competitors like the founders of this country, move to communist countries so you can free-load on other people.

There are not communist countries ( and were not) in the world. Learn philosophy and history better.

There are not communist countries ( and were not) in the world. Learn philosophy and history better.

I'd take it one farther and say it is impossible to have a communist country, at least as Marx/Lenin imagined it.

first, let's get it out of the way. your snide asides and condescension are not only misplaced, but they're also extremely rude. you really should try getting through a paragraph without an "if you were well-read" or an "i know it might be hard for you to understand." stuff like that doesn't fly so well in the real world.

Yes I do sound like an ass there. Sorry

you're changing the argument here. i thought i had made it clear i was speaking of govt-backed cyber theft, not students. even if we were talking about chinese nationals moving home with education/skills they've acquired here, that's a far cry from scientists leaving nazi germany. sure, the us has done things in the past that aren't on the up and up, but to compare the us to nazi germany...your moral relativism is sickening.

Fine. I suppose the nazy germany comparison can be upsetting. I apologize and will stick to the topic.
Since you are making some serious accusations on theft, I will like your opinions on these question
1) what international treatise reigns the jurisdiction of international cyber theft?
2) which court has authority over the matter of international cyber theft?
3) which agency is the designated enforcer of such law?

and yet you later post: "The capitalist system making the US competitive is extremely cutthroat. If you don't share the same spirit and courage answering new challenges/threats from oversea competitors like the founders of this country, move to communist countries so you can free-load on other people."

so on the one hand, you're encouraging the chinese stealing american r&d, while you're deriding free-riding on the other. this is logically flawed.

1) I don't encourage the Chinese stealing American R&D, but I recognize why they do it, their reasons, motivations, and the fact that China is a sovereign country where American laws don't apply.
2) You're twisting my point. I'm saying that American inventors should stop complaining about others stealing ideas. The risk of piracy is an inherent danger for disclosure in return for legal protection. The fact that the Chinese can copy our IPs and get away with it is an inherent FLAW in OUR IP system by assuming that IP is even recognized as a property oversea. It means we need to either strengthen the jurisdiction of our IP system, or simply stop disclosing our scientific innovations. But legally speaking, the Chinese never agreed to American laws, and therefore are not "legally" wrong (and even if they agreed to before, the sovereign state can easily change its mind and declare it legal or issue an exemption, and that would be totally legal according to Chinese laws).

do you see how asinine that first comment is? do you know definitively whether or not i've studied ip law? or are these rhetorical flourishes simply made to make you feel better about yourself? i mean, i could understand it (hypothetically, of course) if i were an ignoramus, but it just makes you sound douche-y.

and there's a difference between enforcing ip laws (cracking down on pirated microsoft operating systems) and state-encouraged theft.

again, you're dodging the issue at hand: state-sponsored ip theft.

Yes, I do sound douchey. I'm sorry. But again.... if something is state-sponsored, then as a sovereign country their citizens are immune from foreign laws. My point is that going around and calling others thieves won't help you (especially if it's state-sponsored). We need to find a way to give the Chinese gov't incentives for recognizing and supporting our IP system.

on another note, best of luck in getting into an mfe program, completing it, and landing a full-time gig. you should be sure to tell the company representatives you meet your views on bribing local officials and ip theft, as i'm sure those views are widely espoused.

You're demonizing me with a skewed view. All I'm saying is that we need to understand the exact laws in effect before pointing fingers, and detailed knowledge of what is legal or not is a huge asset in the business world. I will focus on using different tax schemes to help clients lower their taxes, structuring financial instruments to provide exposure which might not have directly accessible by my clients, and tailor capital structure for lowest borrowing costs and max shareholder value without violating local laws.

Asian education is partly shaped to deal with the bulk rote learning necessary to learn the primitive Japanese & Chinese forms of writing, it is simply not possible for anyone, no matter how smart he is, to work out for himself what a given symbol means.
It's top down and structured which has both good and bad things to it, certainly the lack of parental input into decision making in most Asian countries (and France) leads to good outcomes. France has a very rigid system yet is one of the most creative places on the planet, not just in science but in many other fields. Japan is reasonably creative, not as much as you'd hope from the world's 4th biggest economy, but nowhere near the shameful level of creative absence that we see in the "People's" Republic of China. As others have said both Taiwan and Hong Kong are mostly the same ethnic group with similar cultures but manage to invent, whereas I know individual people who've invented more than 1/4 of the world's population has managed to do in the last 200 years.
Something is wrong there, it ain't language and it ain't the education system.

I am not asserting that he is an expert on the subject, but I came across an interesting quote yesterday while reading NT's Black Swan: "...American culture encourages the process of failure, unlike the cultures of Europe and Asia where failure is met with stigma and embarrassment. America's specialty is to take these small risks for the rest of the world, which explains this country's disproportionate chare in innovations. Once established, an idea or a product is later "perfected" over there.

I fear that I have to be the grown up here and point to history...

America has since its inception flatly refused to accept the IP rights of other countries, the system by design was set up not to make it easy for foreigners to protect their IP. Am I the only person here who knows this ?

Back