• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wristwatch

Can I just say that this guy's voice is so pleasant to listen to? lol

Upper-class English accent -- maybe RP (received pronunciation). A welcome relief from US accents, which are as harsh and abrasive as those of Shagrat and Gorbag.

Last edited:
160017270_10117764488025530_6401038217304367274_n.jpg

a cheap one. If I'm doing the interviewing, I need to know you are not going to blow the money. If I'm the interviewee and I need to impress you with my watch, I probably wouldn't want to work there. I rather impress you with my "knowledge" of watches.

Once, I impressed in an interview with my knowledge of guns and bullet calibers. That got me a nice offer.

I need to know you are not going to blow the money. If I'm the interviewee and I need to impress you with my watch, I probably wouldn't want to work there.

A Richard Mille is probably throwing your money away. But if you're wearing your grandfather's Patek, it shouldn't be held against you.

[/QUOTE]

What kind of wristwatch should a quant wear to make a good impression? At what kind of price point?
Oh man - not a really watch expert, but lately I've been simping for the Rolex Cellini Moonphase. However, as stunning as it is it's price point is a bit higher than what I am willing to blow for a watch. I'd also guess that with the discontinuation of PP's Nautilus they're bound to become a more prestigious and desired timepiece over time (which is really the only reason why you'd spend that much on a wristwatch). In any case, in my mind it's not even good looking and the only PP that I would ever consider buying is a Grand Complications.

Any ways, all of the above are likely too much of a watch for a quant interview (would make sense though for other kind of interviews).

On the more "affordable" side, the below are my personal preferences:
  • Omega Speedmaster - I think it's a bit of a must have for every man who's building a collection
  • IWC Portugieser
  • Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph - they have about a million iterations, but I specifically like this one
  • Ferro & Co came up with the Le Mans not too long ago - it's a beautiful watch, a little unique in the sense it only has one hand, and it's also really cheap (relatively speaking)

Speedmaster is pretty huge and thick though, it's not for everyone. I guess it's the downside of having small wrists, I've taken a liking to a couple of watches from seeing pics on the internet (Omega, Grand Seiko) only to find that they look oversized on my wrist.

Back