• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2011-2012 Quantnet Ranking of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, apparently only Andy has a conflict of ranking and the others who criticize dont. ;)

Moreover, since the methodology is faulty I suggest an improved one which would give a fair chance to every college.
take two dice,roll them and rank each college according to the outcome, In this way instead of 22 we can rank 36 colleges with equal probability for each college.
And finally Andy let a person who has no idea of finance/math roll the dice, this would help in resolving the conflict of interest issue.

:) ! I'm ok with the 36 college ranking !

Guys, leave the Baruch ranking. Look at the other ranks.. I really wish Andy could put up the raw data.

Sure man, resort to name calling. I'm not the one hiding behind some fake screen name, crying like a baby because Baruch shouldn't be so high.

I am not standing by anything. I am not a financial engineer, nor have I ever wanted to be one. I came onto this site as a blogger and have stayed as someone who has enjoyed the conversation on here. My opinion that Andy has done more for the MFE degree than you is entirely not subjective. This website, the tracker, interviews with professionals and the only ranking out there are all efforts to put some type of sense or order for this degree which is relatively new and not as well known as the MBA. You complain and accuse, without any proof or basis.

You call into question a persons reputation, all the while hiding behind a screen name. This is internet tough guy at its best.

You cry and call for transparency, but offer none yourself. For all we know you are an adcom at one of the universities ranked below Baruch.

After going through all the points I would like to make few points...

No one can come out with a ranking to which everyone will agree.As someone who has studied ethics for three years now , I would like to say that this ranking does definitely need disclosure of any conflict of interest that it might be perceived to have ( even if it actually does not have one) .

Regarding giving such high weightage to acceptance rate , I would say a program may be so competitive that only a selected few apply to it and hence the acceptance rate may be high . But then this has been disclosed in the methodology and so I see no problem with it.

Also I have never been to US and do not know which MFE ( berkeley or Baruch) is better , but the thread definitely gives the impression that the Baruch alumni's and students /prospective students are un-necessarily targeting emalu without considering any point which he might have to make.

Finally , I would like to thank Andy for taking time out and coming out with the ranking , Quantnet has helped numerous applicants over years and has done some really splendid jobs .

Also I have never been to US and do not know which MFE ( berkeley or Baruch) is better , but the thread definitely gives the impression that the Baruch alumni's and students /prospective students are un-necessarily targeting emalu without considering any point which he might have to make.

Criticisms are definitely expected and welcomed, and I agree some of the points Emalu makes. However, you do not start off by saying:

This Andy Nguyen is a joke.
I suggest that Mr. Nguyen should go and try to find a real job. Probably not a too quantitaive one though. I wouldn't suggest any financial institute to hire any quant modeling like this. LOL

People are mad because Emalu makes his points in a unprofessional and insulting way. People will defend if someone he/she knows and respects is being attacked.

I have to say that some of the schools which appear on the Top 20 MFE rankings are referred to by the Law students and the MBA students as TTT schools.

People are mad because Emalu makes his points in a unprofessional and insulting way.

Not "points": just one point, repeated mindlessly, over and over again:

being a Baruch graduate and Baruch supporting site owner, Mr. Nguyen is not credible to make such a MFE rank, at least unless he fully discloses the conflict of interest when publishing his rank.

I have a theory that Emalu is not a person but rather a not very complex AI program that repeats the same message again and again, interspersed with random ad hominems. I think such a program could be written in a couple of afternoons.

I have zero affiliation with Baruch and I find the attacks to be distasteful. It is also ironic to call for transparency when offering none in return. For all we know Emalu could be a Berkeley employee.

EMalu, I'm still waiting for the alternative MFE ranking to take a look at as Anthony suggested ... will you provide a link or going to blablabla the whole day?

Admins,
is there a way to disable RED and BOLD?
it's hurting my eyes...

There could be just 2 programs on the ranking...Baruch and Berkeley....The way the discussion is going the other 20 schools dont make any difference..

If you know "People will defend if someone he/she knows and respects is being attacked", it shouldn't be hard for you to understand someone's feeling when her school, which she loves and respects fully, is treated unfairly by some dirty little bogus rank made by some 3nd tier school graduate recieving advertising money from his school. Right?

Anyone that is not completely dump(so not include you Mr. DeAngelis) can easily tell that I am not any school's employee.

Because if I was, I would care about the way I am talking, PR and all other kind of bulls**t. But I don't, cos I am just an angry top program graduate getting completely pissed by this faulty website and faulty rank. I am just here to make sure ppl are aware of the insanity of this rank.

How did you ever get into Berkeley? Did they waive the usual literacy requirements? You can't spell, you can't construct a sentence. Someone is paying you $200,000? Then Forrest Gump should command a salary of $1m.

It seems to me that you're getting riled by the fact that people will take this ranking seriously -- if not, why would you bother with such a vituperative sequence of semi-literate posts?

I have no association with Baruch. Never even visited the place. But they have earned their position. Which is probably more than what you can say with regard to your degree.

If you know "People will defend if someone he/she knows and respects is being attacked", it shouldn't be hard for you to understand someone's feeling when her school, which she loves and respects fully, is treated unfairly by some dirty little bogus rank made by some 3nd tier school graduate recieving advertising money from his school. Right?

Anyone that is not completely dump(so not include you Mr. DeAngelis) can easily tell that I am not any school's employee.

Because if I was, I would care about the way I am talking, PR and all other kind of bulls**t. But I don't, cos I am just an angry top program graduate getting completely pissed by this faulty website and faulty rank. I am just here to make sure ppl are aware of the insanity of this rank.

Ending words:

I will call the last time for transparency: being a Baruch graduate and Baruch supporting site owner, Mr. Nguyen is not credible to make such a MFE rank, at least unless he fully discloses the conflict of interest when publishing his rank.

I believe my request is completely fair and I request Mr.Nguyen to do it ASAP.

If Mr. Nguyen fails to do it soon, I will personally hold against all graduates from Baruch MFE, I will talk to all ppl I know on the Street(I assure you that will be a looot of ppl) my opinions and ask them not to hire Baruch MFEs unless completely necessary(of course ppl will have their own judgement, but I will do what I can).

You are questioning someone's credibility while hiding behind a computer screen name ... very well played

Yes I make typos, but everyone can understand.

But you have bigger problems: why nobody would pay any good salary to genius like you? And the best thing you can do is hanging out here all day and kiss Baruch's ass?

Maybe some day I can hire you fulltime to correct my typos, I will pay you like s**t, but it still would be a much better career than what you are currently in.

comic relief

Why would you care about how you speak or PR when you are hiding behind a screen name. You could be the dean of Haas for all we know, crapping all over Baruch, anonymously.

If you are a Berkeley student I suggest you grow up and act with some humility. Here is a tip. Talking bad about a school because you got pissed on an internet forum makes you look worse than a school. I hope one day you get the job or your dreams and end up working under a Baruch grad.

Why would you care about how you speak or PR when you are hiding behind a screen name. You could be the dean of Haas for all we know, crapping all over Baruch, anonymously.

If you are a Berkeley student I suggest you grow up and act with some humility. Here is a tip. Talking bad about a school because you got pissed on an internet forum makes you look worse than a school. I hope one day you get the job or your dreams and end up working under a Baruch grad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back