• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

Still did not receive anything, is there still any chance to get an admit still ?

Still did not receive anything, is there still any chance to get an admit still ?

If I were you, i.e. if I did not get any intimation whatsoever from them so far, I'd call them up and confirm whether my application was processed or not by now. Naturally, I suggest that you do the same.

If I were you, i.e. if I did not get any intimation whatsoever from them so far, I'd call them up and confirm whether my application was processed or not by now. Naturally, I suggest that you do the same.

Why all decisions are out so far?

I don't know if all decisions are out or not. But at least the admission process has reached the stage where your queries would be totally understandable, and most certainly, calling them up can't go against you. That's my opinion.

Did everyone rejected for MSFE receive an invitation for the MSOR program or its only some selected applicants? I received an email just now to reply by 9th March. Btw, what is the probability of such invited applicants actually being offered admission?
Is MSOR a good choice? They are current about 210 students enrolling in MSOR, while about 70 are enrolling in MSFE. It seems students in MSOR are merely treated as the source of funding.

here is what an admission email looks like, for those who got notified by application website but have not received an eamil yet.

Congratulations!

Let me be among the first to inform you that you have been admitted to the Masters of Science in Financial Engineering at Columbia University, pending the verification of your admissions documents. My colleagues and I hope you will join us this summer.

You have every reason to be proud of this accomplishment. The admissions process was very competitive; you were selected amongst the most talented individuals from prestigious institutions all over the world.

We look forward to meeting you during orientation, which begins on July 2, 2012. In the next week you will receive instructions on how to secure your space in the class via email, which will be followed by information about housing, applying for a visa, etc. If you do not receive this notification within two weeks, please email seasgradmit@columbia.edu. In the meantime, feel free to contact our Admissions Coordinator Adina Brooks at (212) 854-1934, or email adina@ieor.columbia.edu with any questions you may have.

Again, congratulations, and hope to see you at Orientation!

Sincerely yours,

Professor Soulaymane Kachani
Director of IEOR Master's Programs
The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
Columbia University

I got rejected after the interview. Didn't even get a redirect to MSOR. I'm not sure why. I thought the interview was meant to test language proficiency and to gauge likelihood of accepting. Well, English is my native language and I told the interviewer that Columbia was my top choice. I've no idea why I got rejected at all. This is so very demoralizing......

I got rejected after the interview. Didn't even get a redirect to MSOR. I'm not sure why. I thought the interview was meant to test language proficiency and to gauge likelihood of accepting. Well, English is my native language and I told the interviewer that Columbia was my top choice. I've no idea why I got rejected at all. This is so very demoralizing......
Double check with Adina.

Double check with Adina.
Will that help? They seldom, if at all, divulge the reasons for rejecting an applicant, right? Besides, she probably gets tons of these emails from rejected applicants. She'll certainly be kept very busy if she had to personally respond to all of them.

Clerical mistakes happen. Check with them. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Will that help? They seldom, if at all, divulge the reasons for rejecting an applicant, right? Besides, she probably gets tons of these emails from rejected applicants. She'll certainly be kept very busy if she had to personally respond to all of them.
They made mistakes for my interview invitation emails as well.

Back