• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

I've gotten a response from Columbia - nope, there was no mistake, I was really not admitted after the interview.

Does anyone know what Columbia could possibly have been looking for in the interview besides gauging language proficiency and level of interest in the program? It must have been a really huge bungle if I was interviewed and subsequently rejected outright instead of being redirected to MSOR...
In application there is a question asking whether you would consider MSOR if admission committee thinks you are a good fit for it. I think if your answer is yes, they would redirect you to MSOR.

My guess is that more people than expected said that Columbia was their number one choice and were therefor considered for an admit. Lot of people this year that got an interview that were either wait-listed or rejected.

Don't feel too bad. Even if you said they are your #1 choice (what else would they expect), they ask what other programs you applied to and if they feel chance is you will go to another program, they may not give you the admit.
Keep in mind, trying to get a high yield is important to these admission people so they will try to admit people with high probability that will come to Columbia.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice and encouragement. Now onward to hearing from these "other programs"!!

In application there is a question asking whether you would consider MSOR if admission committee thinks you are a good fit for it. I think if your answer is yes, they would redirect you to MSOR.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. That explains.

You forgot to check that box?? That sucks man :-\
Oh, no. I meant, I had forgotten that I indicated in my application that I'd rather not be considered for MSOR. In truth, I'd rather go for an MFE program elsewhere than take up the MSOR. I just saw Columbia's outright rejection sans redirect as an indication that I'm a horrible horrible interviewee. ;)

Did anyone who was redirected via email to MSOR check application status online? I wonder what does it say in this case? Is it going to be pending until adcom decides about this new MSOR application or something else?

Mine says 'Application Decision: Pending for M.S. program in Financial Engineering'

I received no email whatsoever from Columbia until now. I called them up on Feb 29 and the lady on the phone told me that they will be sending the final batch of rejects/redirects to MSOR by March 1. I hope that she really meant this and did not say this just to give me some false hope.

I received no email whatsoever from Columbia until now. I called them up on Feb 29 and the lady on the phone told me that they will be sending the final batch of rejects/redirects to MSOR by March 1. I hope that she really meant this and did not say this just to give me some false hope.
So you mean no more admit, only rejections or redirect ?

Did anyone who was redirected via email to MSOR check application status online? I wonder what does it say in this case? Is it going to be pending until adcom decides about this new MSOR application or something else?

I did. I e-mailed them back with the paragraph, and then got an OFFICIAL REJECTION from MFE while saying my application is now under consideration for MSOR. I checked online and my status is now "Application Decision: Rejected for MSFE; Pending for MSOR". All the information I entered in online application is now locked (can't make changes anymore).

I did not receive anything from them until now. Is that a good sign?

I've gotten a response from Columbia - nope, there was no mistake, I was really not admitted after the interview.

Does anyone know what Columbia could possibly have been looking for in the interview besides gauging language proficiency and level of interest in the program? It must have been a really huge bungle if I was interviewed and subsequently rejected outright instead of being redirected to MSOR...
I think they had already made their decisions before sending out the interview invitation. The interview itself is just a sample collecting process.

I did not receive any response yet either. What is your nationality and undergraduate university ?

I am from India, Btech one of the IITs, dunno what has gone wrong, i was at least expecting a redirect to MSOR..:(..what is your nationality and undergrad

I am from India, Btech one of the IITs, dunno what has gone wrong, i was at least expecting a redirect to MSOR..:(..what is your nationality and undergrad
I am an American citizen, undergrad American University of Beirut

Back