• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

I did not get an interview however i did not get rejected yet. Is that considered good or bad ?

They made mistakes for my interview invitation emails as well.

Clerical mistakes happen. Check with them. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Thanks vilovestar and Andy. I'll email Adina and check on it. Have updated my Tracker as well with the entire process with Columbia.

In the event that there's been no mistake and the rejection stays, I would love to seek your advice on what was wrong with my answers to the interview questions. After all, there are probably one or two more admission interviews pending, and if I'm making a fatal mistake, I'd better fix it pronto!

Anyone know the general probability of a wait-listed candidate getting admission eventually? Low or high?

I got rejected after the interview. Didn't even get a redirect to MSOR. I'm not sure why. I thought the interview was meant to test language proficiency and to gauge likelihood of accepting. Well, English is my native language and I told the interviewer that Columbia was my top choice. I've no idea why I got rejected at all. This is so very demoralizing......
Same here. English is not my native language though, but I have been studying in the US for four years and I speak fluent English. I had the same doubt as you and I actually called during the day. They refused to check anything.

Same here. English is not my native language though, but I have been studying in the US for four years and I speak fluent English. I had the same doubt as you and I actually called during the day. They refused to check anything.

That's sad... I'm really curious to know what I could have said during the interview that was so bad. Care to share your interview questions and responses? We can exchange our Q&A's in private if you're more comfortable with that. Hopefully it helps us to figure out what went wrong and how we can improve in future interviews.

You think they will still send out any admit ?

I think that they have sent all the admission/wait-list/reject letters out. They would send out admission only if some of the admitted applicants turn down offers, to the wait-lists.

I think that they have sent all the admission/wait-list/reject letters out. They would send out admission only if some of the admitted applicants turn down offers, to the wait-lists.
No i still did not get anything yet

Clerical mistakes happen. Check with them. You have nothing to lose at this point.
I've gotten a response from Columbia - nope, there was no mistake, I was really not admitted after the interview.

Does anyone know what Columbia could possibly have been looking for in the interview besides gauging language proficiency and level of interest in the program? It must have been a really huge bungle if I was interviewed and subsequently rejected outright instead of being redirected to MSOR...

I've gotten a response from Columbia - nope, there was no mistake, I was really not admitted after the interview.

Does anyone know what Columbia could possibly have been looking for in the interview besides gauging language proficiency and level of interest in the program? It must have been a really huge bungle if I was interviewed and subsequently rejected outright instead of being redirected to MSOR...

My guess is that more people than expected said that Columbia was their number one choice and were therefor considered for an admit. Lot of people this year that got an interview that were either wait-listed or rejected.

In the event that there's been no mistake and the rejection stays, I would love to seek your advice on what was wrong with my answers to the interview questions. After all, there are probably one or two more admission interviews pending, and if I'm making a fatal mistake, I'd better fix it pronto!
Don't feel too bad. Even if you said they are your #1 choice (what else would they expect), they ask what other programs you applied to and if they feel chance is you will go to another program, they may not give you the admit.
Keep in mind, trying to get a high yield is important to these admission people so they will try to admit people with high probability that will come to Columbia.

Did anyone who was redirected via email to MSOR check application status online? I wonder what does it say in this case? Is it going to be pending until adcom decides about this new MSOR application or something else?

Back