• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE 2012 Columbia MFE admission thread

does anyone know if columbia offers scholarships to top applicants? or does anyone receive any scholarship from them?

I've gotten a response from Columbia - nope, there was no mistake, I was really not admitted after the interview.

Does anyone know what Columbia could possibly have been looking for in the interview besides gauging language proficiency and level of interest in the program? It must have been a really huge bungle if I was interviewed and subsequently rejected outright instead of being redirected to MSOR...

Did you make a phone call or send an email? Nobody answered my phone call, neither my emails.

does anyone know that by when we have to confirm our admission if we have got an admit? i think cmu round 2 result is still one month away so can we get that much time to confirm with columbia? i have been accepted but i dont want to confirm my seat without looking at my cmu result. im sure applicants in past years also faced this. any guidance much appreciated.

Did anyone who was redirected via email to MSOR check application status online? I wonder what does it say in this case? Is it going to be pending until adcom decides about this new MSOR application or something else?
it says pending in my case ..

does anyone know that by when we have to confirm our admission if we have got an admit? i think cmu round 2 result is still one month away so can we get that much time to confirm with columbia? i have been accepted but i dont want to confirm my seat without looking at my cmu result. im sure applicants in past years also faced this. any guidance much appreciated.
so does that mean if you also get accepted by cmu, you will choose cmu and turn columbia mfe down? just curious..

Anyone else still did not get anything? You think there will be more admit?

Saw on tracker that remylebeau had revised his "Result" for Columbia MFE to "Admit"...
guess adcom must had did a U-turn on him! amazing!

Saw on tracker that remylebeau had revised his "Result" for Columbia MFE to "Admit"...

You're right! Indeed they did. It's a very very strange turn of affairs.

I emailed Columbia on 29 Feb to check if there was any error in the decision regarding my admission to the program. Got a response on 1 Mar saying there was no mistake. But this morning I got a completely unexpected response from Adina saying I'll be admitted!

Very very happy. I shan't look a gift horse in the mouth!

remylebeau has some serious explaining to do ;)
Ok, he did ninja me.
It raises hope to denizens everywhere. My theory is that they check QuantNet and see how his heart was broken, his hope dashed and did a double take.
Such imagery.:LOL: That is certainly a valid theory, and no exaggeration too.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and words of encouragement!

Such imagery.:LOL: That is certainly a valid theory, and no exaggeration too.

But if the adcoms are really tracking QuantNet and cross-referencing their applicants with QuantNet members, we would have to be very judicious about what we reveal here! Especially as we express preferences for one program over another.......?

Congratz remylebeau! May I ask you, if your admission letter is similar to those admitted applicants'?

Congratz remylebeau! May I ask you, if your admission letter is similar to those admitted applicants'?
No, I don't actually have an admission letter, just an email from the admissions office containing a one-liner saying I'll be admitted. The online application system also tells me that I've been admitted to the MSFE. (Yes, I checked it to make sure no-one's pulling my leg.)

That works out really for you in the end, doesn't it?
It is statically proven that putting your applications on our Tracker is a goodluck charm.
709 of the current 1588 applications there has an Admit status, a 44.7% admit rate. How can you beat that?
Programs love to see more applicants use the Tracker. That gives them more visibility specially if they can crack the top tracked programs list. It's well-known that people are more likely to apply to additional programs if they see a lot of other applicants do.

That works out really for you in the end, doesn't it?
It is statically proven that putting your applications on our Tracker is a goodluck charm.
709 of the current 1588 applications there has an Admit status, a 44.7% admit rate. How can you beat that?
Programs love to see more applicants use the Tracker. That gives them more visibility specially if they can crack the top tracked programs list. It's well-known that people are more likely to apply to additional programs if they see a lot of other applicants do.
True that. I did select the programs largely with help from QuantNet's ranking and interviews with program directors. The Tracker has been immensely helpful as well in helping me to see the profiles of the students who have been admitted, and to gauge when I'm lagging so far behind in the timeline that I should email the admissions office to ask if they've forgotten me! :p

You think i should email them if i did not get admitted and ask why. :(

You think i should email them if i did not get admitted and ask why. :(

I know of one more guy whose decision was altered from Reject to Accept a couple of days ago.
ONE : I think you can certainly ask them the status of your application if you still don't have any clarity on it. As remylebeau said, no harm trying.

Back