• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Acceptance Rates for MFE programs

Under DHS (formerly INS rule), all international student (F-1 visa holder) must be FT student (taking a minimum of 12 credits a semester) EXCEPT the last semester or under financial hardship with approval from the International Student officer (this has happened during Asian financial crisis 97-98)
I would be surprised if any F-1 student is PT student in their first semester.

It is possible that students who work on H1-B are considered international students by the program.

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you are so right! Come one, I'm not that dumb. I was operating under the assumption that international students have to be FT to keep their visa.

Hey I did not mean that either... I was just trying to be a more sarcastic :) but in a friendly manner.

There was a typo in the file - there are only 13 international students this year.

What a simple explanation :)

Updating for 2009

Princeton
In 2009: 4% (24/591 applications) with 19 enrolling (80%).
In 2008: 7% (40/664 applications) with 30 enrolled (75%).
In 2007:10% (48/459 applications)

Source: FAQs - Bendheim Center for Finance - Princeton University

UCB:
2009: 25% (101/400) with 65 enrolled (64% yield)
2008: 19% (90/474) with 65 enrolled (72% yield)

Source: UCB - QuantNetwork Wiki
Class Profiles - Master of Financial Engineering Program - Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley

Baruch
2009: 8% (29/352) with 24 enrolled (83% yield)

Source: http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/math/AdmissionStatistics.html

Stanford
2009: 6% (19/312) with 13 enrolled (68% yield)

Source: http://finmath.stanford.edu/admissions/studentprofile.html

Looks like NYU Poly has become some sort of burger machine for creating MFEs. 225 MFEs in one year, wow!

UCB acceptance rates

I was wondering if anyone has any insights into why UCB has such a high acceptance rate. I was recently accepted there and am waiting for Princeton and NYU to answer. However, I only have a week to tell UCB my decision. Should I say yes to UCB? Thanks for your input.

-Ben

I don't believe there is anything weird going on there. It's just a simple matter of math.
To obtain the quota of 65 students each year, you need to accept around 90-100 students give or take due to the historical yield rate in the neighborhood of 60s-70s%
UCB averages in the low 400s applicants the past 3 years so they accepted in average 90s students the past 3 years. That comes out to 22% acceptance rate the past 3 years.

Other programs like NYU, Princeton which received around 600 applicants last year but admitted less than UCB resulting in a lower acceptance rate.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is a way to know the acceptance rate for Part Time NYU program. Or, even the kind of profiles they accept for that program..

Thanks in advance

NYU Full-time acceptance rate

50 of over 650 applicants were admitted (Fall 2009). 27 students enrolled for the full time class
75 of over 900 applicants were admitted (Fall 2008). 30 students enrolled for the full time class

Thank you Tigga.

Any clue how many were PART TIME applicants out of those numbers ( 650 and 900 )?

Baruch MFE Admission Numbers (Fall 2010)

Applicants: 467
Number of Admition Offers: 35 (7% admission rate)
Enrolled Students: 30
Yield: 86%

UCB Class of 2011

Students Applications Received: 333
Number of Admits: 105
Enrolled Students: 67
Acceptance rate = 32%
Yield rate = 64% (36% people who admitted went elsewhere)

Cal has surprisingly high admit rate this year...

Back