• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on undergraduate degree to pursue

I just finished high school in Victoria, Australia, and I have been looking into quant jobs and have become very interested in becoming one especially a quantitive researcher. I am very talented at maths and am starting to learn code now and I was just wondering what undergraduate degree I should pursue to have the best path into getting a quant job. I have looked at the quantitative finance degrees at UTS and Monash but they are masters degrees and I am looking for a bachelor's degree. As of right now I am thinking of doing actuary at melb uni and then try to transition into the quant industry and if I cannot I will stay on the actuary path which I am somewhat interested in as well. I just need some advice/options of other pathways I could take.

If I were in this position, focus on applied/numerical maths degree.
And learn C++ asap.

Everything else follows, more or less.

// not sure if actuary is quant as such.. but useful skills nonetheless.

I'd do maths as a major, with mathematical statistics as electives for that major. Unless you can take a bunch of masters courses, the other statistics courses are often not taught in enough depth to make them preferable over the solid grounding in analysis/linear algebra you can get on the maths side. Throw in some numerical methods/analysis courses (or take them from Dr. Duffy at DataSim, which is what I'm planning on). Econ/Fin minor is fine, but I'd rather take *maybe* 3 of those courses (intro to corporate fin, and maybe micro Econ. just enough that when you pick up the finance side it isn't a foreign language) and just focus on math/C++/stats/prob. Take the programming courses offered on this site. Once the groundwork is really solid you can venture into stats stuff.

I took 'applied' regression and time series, which meant no matrix math/theoretical stuff was taught at all since none of the stats majors had any prep in that area (me included, at the time, after this semester's theoretical linear maths I can take a lot of it- I think.). It was cool to use stats, but I missed the majority of the purpose behind the material. I'd have gotten a lot more out of it if it were taught with any rigor.

This doesn't fully apply if you're at a truly 'top' Uni. I'm not, so they often have to do things like give 50/100% extra credit to avoid failing a bunch of seniors in Classical Statistical Inference.

If I were in this position, focus on applied/numerical maths degree.
And learn C++ asap.

Everything else follows, more or less.

// not sure if actuary is quant as such.. but useful skills nonetheless.
About the maths degree wouldn't actuary be a nice mix of both maths/stats while also being in the finance side of things?

I'd do maths as a major, with mathematical statistics as electives for that major. Unless you can take a bunch of masters courses, the other statistics courses are often not taught in enough depth to make them preferable over the solid grounding in analysis/linear algebra you can get on the maths side. Throw in some numerical methods/analysis courses (or take them from Dr. Duffy at DataSim, which is what I'm planning on). Econ/Fin minor is fine, but I'd rather take *maybe* 3 of those courses (intro to corporate fin, and maybe micro Econ. just enough that when you pick up the finance side it isn't a foreign language) and just focus on math/C++/stats/prob. Take the programming courses offered on this site. Once the groundwork is really solid you can venture into stats stuff.

I took 'applied' regression and time series, which meant no matrix math/theoretical stuff was taught at all since none of the stats majors had any prep in that area (me included, at the time, after this semester's theoretical linear maths I can take a lot of it- I think.). It was cool to use stats, but I missed the majority of the purpose behind the material. I'd have gotten a lot more out of it if it were taught with any rigor.

This doesn't fully apply if you're at a truly 'top' Uni. I'm not, so they often have to do things like give 50/100% extra credit to avoid failing a bunch of seniors in Classical Statistical Inference.
same thing I said to Daniel Duffy wouldn't actuary be a good mix of both the maths/stats and finance?

What are the topics in an actuarial degree?
My gut feeling is the maths may not be hard enough for quant maths.
My question too. Real analysis, theoretical linear algebra, calc based probability, rigorous statistics, differential equations, and numerical methods should be in your toolkit.
The calc based probability will be in the curriculum, but none of these other topics will be. They will all be replaced with micro/macro Econ and finance courses.

If you want to be an actuary then study actuarial science. If you want to work in quantitative finance study math and/or CS. Actuarial degrees are very career oriented and a lot of time is spent preparing for the SOA exams

What are the topics in an actuarial degree?
My gut feeling is the maths may not be hard enough for quant maths.
1700857363775.png

These are the subject I would be doing at unimelb for actuary, for stats it says we will cover:
Concepts covered include: descriptive statistics, random sample, statistical inference, point estimation, interval estimation, properties of estimators, maximum likelihood, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing and Bayesian inference. Applications covered include: exploratory data analysis, inference for samples from univariate distributions, simple linear regression, correlation, goodness-of-fit tests and analysis of variance
and for probability it says:
But as _quanty_ mentioned studying actuary doesn't really cover things like real analysis.

But looking at the maths degree its does cover most of what your saying:
1700857740703.png

So would you say this would more of a better pathway to take?

Do a degree where if you change your mind about being a quant in a few years it still allows you flexibility. Maybe a math or CS degree will flexible enough to get into most technical roles.
Yea thats why I was thinking of an actuary degree cause if I change my mind about quant I can stick on the actuary pathway. But with a maths degree what flexibility will it have to get into other roles apart from an engineer?

Back