• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Any Math courses?

This is my first post here. I'm from the IT industry with a work ex of 6 years. Recently, when I applied to a school for the MFE course, I was given a feedback about not having enough math courses in my under-grad, though I have the pre-requisites. For instance, students who were given admits had 5 math courses, and I have just 3. I've been put on waiting list, and was wondering what I could do to help my candidature? Can someone guide me if they've had similar experiences, and what they've done to overcome? I was thinking of taking some additional math courses, but not sure how quickly I could get it done, in order to help my candidature? Can one do math courses through correspondence? I was looking at taking math courses for Calculus, Linear Algebra.

I'm not in any program yet. But, from what I know, this is the minimum you should take:

Calc 1
Calc 2
Multi Calc
Probability (Calc based)
Mathematical Statistics
ODEs
PDEs
Numerical Analysis
Stochastic Processes
programing knowledge (which you have)
finance knowledge

I am in the process of taking these courses.

Thanks Roni for that Information. Where are you planning on taking the below courses from? Are you applying for MFE 2010 or next year? On an average how long do you think you'll take to complete the below courses? Also what are ODEs n PDEs

Thanks Roni for that Information. Where are you planning on taking the below courses from? Are you applying for MFE 2010 or next year? On an average how long do you think you'll take to complete the below courses? Also what are ODEs n PDEs

ODEs and PDEs = Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations. If I were you, I'd check out the NetMath programs at the U. of Illinios online. I know they have multivariable calc. Also, the Columbia video network is a good resource to use, though it's not cheap.

ODE- Ordinary Differential Equations
PDE- Partial Differential Equations

For Finance knowledge, the CFA level I material would come handy. or Take Financial Management I and II.

I'm going to apply for Fall 2011
I started taking these classes in summer 2009 at Baruch College and other CUNY campuses (just because it's cheap)
to do the calc sequence you will need 3 semesters because you cant take them simultaneously.
I'll be done with the prerequisites by the end of Fall 2010. It's possible to finish with these prerequs even in less time, if you take 3-5 math courses each semester + 1-2 math courses in the summer....
ODEs= Ordinary Differential Equations
PDEs= Partial Differential Equations

I'm not in any program yet. But, from what I know, this is the minimum you should take:

Calc 1
Calc 2
Multi Calc
Probability (Calc based)
Mathematical Statistics
ODEs
PDEs
Numerical Analysis
Stochastic Processes
programing knowledge (which you have)
finance knowledge

I am in the process of taking these courses.

You missed linear algebra haha.

Besides those that are required, here are some that might be helpful:
Optimization
Game Theory
Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Fourier Transform
Time Series Analysis
Financial Mathematics

Not in any particular order

You missed linear algebra haha.

Besides those that are required, here are some that might be helpful:
Optimization
Game Theory
Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Fourier Transform
Time Series Analysis
Financial Mathematics

Not in any particular order
oopps, right forgot to mention Linear Algebra,
Also, I am taking financial mathematics right now, amazing course !
and I am thinking if I should take Real Analysis/Optimization... will see :\

and how is complex analysis helpful ? I think someone here once said that complex analysis has nothing to do with MFE. What do you say ?

and how is complex analysis helpful ? I think someone here once said that complex analysis has nothing to do with MFE. What do you say ?

Complex is recommended by Rugter:
Admissions Prerequisites and Recommended Courses &ndash Mathematical Finance at Rutgers

They put complex in line with numerical, stochastics and statistics, before real analysis. I think it might be useful when it comes to fourier transform and characteristic functions.

I'm taking it next year so I wouldn't know now, but what's someone else's opinion on this?

Complex is recommended by Rugter:
Admissions Prerequisites and Recommended Courses &ndash Mathematical Finance at Rutgers

They put complex in line with numerical, stochastics and statistics, before real analysis. I think it might be useful when it comes to fourier transform and characteristic functions.

I'm taking it next year so I wouldn't know now, but what's someone else's opinion on this?

I doubt they put that in order of importance.

From what I've seen, knowledge of Real Analysis would come in handy if you do Stochastic Calculus.

Just a question for people who are working...

How useful is Time Series Analysis in addition to normal statistics and econometrics related courses.

really useful. You should look into it.

Yeah eh. It is offered as an elective in my program. I was thinking about taking it. So many courses I want to take lol so hard to choose. I will take Time series analysis then in the fall. Thanks for the reply.

I'm am following a similar path. I have a b-school degree, I'm now back in school at CCNY doing:

Data Structures
Calculus III
Elements of Linear Algebra
Algorithms
Software Design Laboratory
Intro to Simulation Sciences
Fundamentals of Computer Science
Discrete Models of Financial Mathematics
Methods of Differential Equations
Numerical Issues in Scientific Programming
Computer Architecture
Intro to Theoretical Comp Sci
Operating Systems
Programming Language Paradigms
Elements of Probability Theory
Continuous Time Models in Fin Math

If you can afford the time and loss of income, I am a fan of not working and getting back into the academic regimen, to hit those pre-reqs, if it is your ultimate goal.

I have a similar query here. I have taken Maths 1 and Maths 2 during my engg curriculum which includes calculus mostly. I have done CFA L2 which includes
statistics and probability. So topics I am left with are
Stochastic Processes
Optimization
Time series analysis
Game Theory
Real analysis
Complex Analysis
I am planning to apply next year. Can someone tell me of any place to do these courses online or by correspondence.
Moreover I don't have good grades in my engg maths courses , because i didn take them seriously otherwise i am very good at maths. so , shall i take them again at some place and get good grades . Is there any other course which i can do to enhance my chances for MFE at top 10 schools.If yes , what are the places to do those courses online.

Since we are talkin about mathematics courses... I figured instead of making a separate thread to just ask here...

I was wondering about finance courses.

How important would be it be to know things about Financial Accounting and Corporate Finance? Many MFE programs have a Financial accounting courses and Corporate Finance courses as part of their curriculum.

Courses that talk about examining ratios, assets, income taxes, debt, etc. Topics like cash flow forecasting, dividend policies, M&A, structured finance, capital at risk, etc. How financial decisions contribute to the value of the company.

Is knowledge in this area an asset when it comes to looking for jobs as traders in prop firms, quant analysts, quant programmers, risk management, and so on. These courses at a graduate level in ADDITION to obviously all the neccessary courses abt computational finance, mathematical finance, numerical methods, programming, etc.

I am thinking of taking a Financial Statement Class and a Corporate Finance course as part of my program.

How important would be it be to know things about Financial Accounting and Corporate Finance? Many MFE programs have a Financial accounting courses and Corporate Finance courses as part of their curriculum.

Courses that talk about examining ratios, assets, income taxes, debt, etc. Topics like cash flow forecasting, dividend policies, M&A, structured finance, capital at risk, etc. How financial decisions contribute to the value of the company.

Is knowledge in this area an asset when it comes to looking for jobs as traders in prop firms, quant analysts, quant programmers, risk management, and so on. These courses at a graduate level in ADDITION to obviously all the neccessary courses abt computational finance, mathematical finance, numerical methods, programming, etc.

I am thinking of taking a Financial Statement Class and a Corporate Finance course as part of my program.

It won't help you. I assume you can read financial statements (balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements) and understand the principle of double-entry book-keeping. If you don't, pick up a book and teach yourself (I personally like Horngren's book on management accounting, which has a short, terse chapter on financial accounting as well). The things you mention -- M&A, dividend policy, cash flow forecasting, etc. -- are irrelevant to what a quant does. These are courses for people with IQs of 115; not for people who score 145.

It won't help you. I assume you can read financial statements (balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements) and understand the principle of double-entry book-keeping. If you don't, pick up a book and teach yourself (I personally like Horngren's book on management accounting, which has a short, terse chapter on financial accounting as well). The things you mention -- M&A, dividend policy, cash flow forecasting, etc. -- are irrelevant to what a quant does. These are courses for people with IQs of 115; not for people who score 145.

That's what I thought. I am just trying to figure out what courses to take this summer, and I am kinda screwed cuz the program is only offering Financial Statement Analysis and Corporate Finance this summer because they have internships in their curriculum in the summer.

I guess I will goto their math department and just take grad math classes lol

That's what I thought. I am just trying to figure out what courses to take this summer, and I am kinda screwed cuz the program is only offering Financial Statement Analysis and Corporate Finance this summer because they have internships in their curriculum in the summer.

I guess I will goto their math department and just take grad math classes lol

Financial statement analysis will probably be about the different ratios, and about industry and temporal averages and such tedious stuff. Corporate finance might be marginally more interesting (e.g., if they put in material like investment appraisal). Nothing wrong with tedious stuff -- it can be a welcome relief from more demanding material. But it's unlikely to help you.

Financial statement analysis will probably be about the different ratios, and about industry and temporal averages and such tedious stuff. Corporate finance might be marginally more interesting (e.g., if they put in material like investment appraisal). Nothing wrong with tedious stuff -- it can be a welcome relief from more demanding material. But it's unlikely to help you.

I think it will be helpful for a future application towards PhD Finance.

But otherwise, not really. I am going to call program director and see what can be done. I want to take Statistics and C++ or Statistics and Fin Statement at least to start off in the summer semester.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Found description

Fin Statement Analysis

After reviewing the content of the major financial statements, the course examines ratios, inventories, long-lived assets, income taxes, debt, leases, and pensions, among other topics. U.S. practices are compared to practices in other major countries.

Corporate Fin

This course is an advanced introduction to modern corporate finance. Topics include cash flow forecasting, optimal dividend policies, mergers and acquisitions, structured finance, capital at risk, and the risk of adjusted return on capital. The philosophical foundation of the course is the concept of shareholder value added. Students will learn how financial decisions can contribute to the value of a modern corporation

Seems interesting.

Back