• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anything from 2024 Columbia MFE?

I completely understand where everyone is coming from, because I'm in the same situation. Nonetheless, I think it's best that we don't read too much into it. I know that previous track records show that rejection letters come later than the acceptance letters as Andy has pointed out earlier, but they release multiple rounds of decisions throughout February and March. I believe last week was merely the first batch of decisions, so the chance of getting in is still solid.

I completely understand where everyone is coming from, because I'm in the same situation. Nonetheless, I think it's best that we don't read too much into it. I know that previous track records show that rejection letters come later than the acceptance letters as Andy has pointed out earlier, but they release multiple rounds of decisions throughout February and March. I believe last week was merely the first batch of decisions, so the chance of getting in is still solid.
Yup I wouldn't read too much into it. While I have the status update I haven't received any official offer so it's not necessarily the be-all end-all if you have the update.

Hi, just wondering has anyone submitted their application on October and heard back? I submitted my application on Oct 7th, 2023 but so far i haven't seen the "Moved to review" status yet. Could it be that applications are review based on submission date or could it be that my profile isn't ideal enough?

Hi, just wondering has anyone submitted their application on October and heard back? I submitted my application on Oct 7th, 2023 but so far i haven't seen the "Moved to review" status yet. Could it be that applications are review based on submission date or could it be that my profile isn't ideal enough?
I submitted 3 days before the deadline and I just assumed they were reviewing them chronologically and so haven't got to mine. But your experience throws my theory out the window.

Hi all, I have gotten an admit offer from NYU Tandon for their MS Financial Engineering program. I have also applied to Columbia MFE, Chicago MSFM, and Carnegie Mellon MSCF - Waiting on all.

My portal does not show any "Under Review" status for Columbia. Just this -

Application Details
Application Round: 2024 On-Campus Graduate Programs
Application Term: Fall 2024
Application Program: Financial Engineering Master of Science

Hence, I am going to assume that my chances of getting in are very thin now.

Also, NYU's deadline is approaching (March 1). How long do you guys think I should wait for Columbia, before paying the fees to NYU? Thanks!!
All the best to all others and a huge congratulations to whoever got admitted to Columbia!!

Hi all, I have gotten an admit offer from NYU Tandon for their MS Financial Engineering program. I have also applied to Columbia MFE, Chicago MSFM, and Carnegie Mellon MSCF - Waiting on all.

Application Details

Also, NYU's deadline is approaching (March 1). How long do you guys think I should wait for Columbia, before paying the fees to NYU? Thanks!!
All the best to all others and a huge congratulations to whoever got admitted to Columbia!!
Congrats on the tandon admit! i’m waiting for them as well (round 2). in my opinion, i would wait until the deadline (or the day before to be safe) since you never know if you may hear back from CU or not.

Last edited:
People still waiting for an admissions letter… I attended a virtual chat with CU MSFE people in administrative roles today. They were mainly answering questions from admitted students. There were about 25-30 students in the zoom call (guessing by the number of attendees). If we take the number of enrolled students from the 2022 cohort (approx 100). Then there are still many admissions letters that are yet to be sent out. Of course, I’m assuming that the cohort size will remain roughly the same and that all students who are trully considering enrolling in the program showed up for today’s session. Best of luck out there!

People still waiting for an admissions letter… I attended a virtual chat with CU MSFE people in administrative roles today. They were mainly answering questions from admitted students. There were about 25-30 students in the zoom call (guessing by the number of attendees). If we take the number of enrolled students from the 2022 cohort (approx 100). Then there are still many admissions letters that are yet to be sent out. Of course, I’m assuming that the cohort size will remain roughly the same and that all students who are trully considering enrolling in the program showed up for today’s session. Best of luck out there!
Thanks for sharing that info. I can't help but wonder the attendance rate of admitted students to that virtual chat. I will also add that since they know some students will decline the offer, they will send more offers than the number of available seats.

This is reassuring, thanks.

Just curious, after the first round of offers last week, has anyone else so far have their status stated as “under review”?

Just curious, after the first round of offers last week, has anyone else so far have their status stated as “under review”?
Mine says the same. There are still people who got under review but have not received decision, so I think it is gonna be at least another week to see another round of "under review".

Application Details

My portal shows the same. Do you think we should mail the University for an update?

Has anyone from the accepted students or from the one still waiting for a decision received a notifying letter from Columbia Engineering around Jan 20th that their application is complete and is going to be reviewed? I am wondering if this plays any role in the application/decision process.

Has anyone from the accepted students or from the one still waiting for a decision received a notifying letter from Columbia Engineering around Jan 20th that their application is complete and is going to be reviewed? I am wondering if this plays any role in the application/decision process.
Yes I did. I am still waiting for a decision

My portal shows the same. Do you think we should mail the University for an update?
We might just get an autogenerated response. No harm in trying it though. Guys, if someone has already mailed the Uni about their status, could you please share what their response was like?

In fact now that you remind me of this - this email stated the following for me - "We ask that you accept this email as a status update, and please not email us asking for additional updates. When a decision has been made on your application, you will receive an email to this email address with the subject line: "You have an application status update." "

However, they are clearly updating the portal with the Under Review Status for many applicants. So yea, not sure how it's done.

This is killing me. I'm in Columbia and applied via MS Express way back in November. Now I'm watching other people getting admitted first lol. Would be a great story to be like one of the only people rejected from MS express

Back