• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applying for Job for 2 months no sucess

Yes it is part of my GitHub under market_learn.learning.msr for Markov switching regression. I’m trying to implement the EM algorithm to make it run faster as the optimization runs very slowly as it keeps searching for a local minima
Here’s a pic of it working :)

Attachments

• ED8A46CD-60D9-4CD6-A265-C74E66B0DDDB.jpeg
    ED8A46CD-60D9-4CD6-A265-C74E66B0DDDB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Graduate, I had almost 2 research experience for both summers. Dual major in Mathematics and Computer Science. I had to work undergrad about 30-35 hours a week to go to school. Taking C++ course that is hosted by QuantNet. I am currently doing their advance course.
There are many things to take in consideration when business climate is bad: even jobs currently advertised all over the internet may lead to no hiring at all, even of the best candidate, because of internal company politics:
[...] In this market, it is not enough to convince a hiring manager and a few of his henchmen that you are the best person to do this job. Their next step is to fight through the
bureaucracy to actually get you taken on. Bureaucracy has of course always existed, but we are now in a situation where the process has been made both difficult and fragile on purpose. Your new boss has to get sign off that you are needed, not just wanted, and he may be competing with other managers for a small finite set of slots. It may be that your boss is in a bizarre contest to see whether they hire a new risk reporter, quant developer, secretary, or algorithmic trader. [...] Your new boss has got other things on his mind than you, and almost all of them are more attractive than squabbling with other managers over headcount. [...] You need to do what you can to arm him for that fight.

Last edited:
I’m not currently in the job market, but many of my colleagues in the MSCF program are having troubles landing interviews right now. It’s a tough time to find a job at the moment so I wouldn’t be afraid to look outside finance atm. Many data analyst/scientist jobs are good way to show your experience. That’s how I got started off before I landed an internship at a large buy side asset manager. As long as the skills used are transferable like data analysis and prediction/classification etc you should be fine. They usually don’t pay bad as well and better then being unemployed.

I’m not currently in the job market, but many of my colleagues in the MSCF program are having troubles landing interviews right now. It’s a tough time to find a job at the moment so I wouldn’t be afraid to look outside finance atm. Many data analyst/scientist jobs are good way to show your experience. That’s how I got started off before I landed an internship at a large buy side asset manager. As long as the skills used are transferable like data analysis and prediction/classification etc you should be fine. They usually don’t pay bad as well and better then being unemployed.
I been applying primarly to c++ posistions

Not much luck with summer internship applications here either (new Columbia MSFE student from this Fall), mostly rejections without even a phone interview/coding challenge from the hedge funds and prop trading firms. I've had some early-stage interviews and coding challenges from the banks but no advanced rounds yet.

Either way there are some good information in this thread, thanks for sharing, and also best of luck for everyone in the job market right now.

Not much luck with summer internship applications here either (new Columbia MSFE student from this Fall), mostly rejections without even a phone interview/coding challenge from the hedge funds and prop trading firms. I've had some early-stage interviews and coding challenges from the banks but no advanced rounds yet.

Either way there are some good information in this thread, thanks for sharing, and also best of luck for everyone in the job market right now.
I would say that's everyone. The fact that your getting interviews is a very good sign. Many banks also reply very late. As long as your getting interviews I would say your getting the benefits of your degree name.

I would say that's everyone. The fact that your getting interviews is a very good sign. Many banks also reply very late. As long as your getting interviews I would say your getting the benefits of your degree name.
Exactly, for a new, first semester student like me we have nothing like projects or exceptional GPA to help with that extra push. We're relying on that school/program brand name to even get the chance for an interview.

I'm going to talk to my academic advisor regarding my course plans for the upcoming semester, if things go well he might be able to introduce me to an alumnus or someone he knows in the industry. The MFE career advisor also reached out to me recently to check on how the hunt for internship has been going (I've been busy keeping up with the short Fall A + Fall B semester format that I never even thought about talking to the assigned career advisor lol).

even fresh harvard stats phds are struggling, don't take it so personally. if anything 2020 shows how much luck plays a role in this stuff

Back