• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Baruch College - Master in Financial Engineering

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE Admission Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin
  • Start date Start date
Hi,

I submitted my application at least 2 months ago, and i got a mail mentioning that i will get a mail when you have received all my documents. When i check my application status online it says ' Not Reviewed yet'.
I am positive that i have submitted all the required documents. I also sent a mail to Baruch but did not receive a reply.
How do i make sure that the university has received all the required documents?

Regards,
Anoop

I applied for this year's Baruch MFE.

The application was submitted on 18 Mar (maybe it was a bit late?).

Then I got an email on 28 Mar saying my application was rejected (no interview yet)...

The email provided no further information and told me not to reply to the email...

Does anyone know how I can get to know the evaluation of my application?

I'd like to know the reasons behind and see if I can improve those and retry next year.

Can you share your profile ? Besides, if I remember correctly, the Baruch Admissions Committee does offer some sort of an informal feedback as to why your application was declined once they are done with admissions for this year. You can ask them then. Regardless of your profile, you should consider doing the Baruch Pre - MFE program to augment your chances at Baruch for next year. Moreover, it's wise to apply to multiple schools and not fixate towards a particular program and get depressed if you're rejected by it. If you're good, you will most likely end up with a job similar to the one you thought you'd end up after graduating from the program you were fixating over and if necessary, you can catch up after a few years of work experience.

Good Luck!

A bit about myself.

Originated and educated in Hong Kong
Bachelor Degrees in electronics and business
GPA 3.9
Been to Purdue for exchange study with GPA 4.0
Received several scholarships and dean's list
GMAT 660 (Quant: 49) <- weakest link?
Certified FRM
CFA Level 1
Two years of full time work experience in RBS HK as IT analyst

Yes, I have applied for other schools as well, but still want to prepare for the worst case...

So will Baruch send us individual evaluation voluntarily? Or must I ask for it?

Thanks.

I believe you have to ask for it voluntarily. I'm not sure as to why they declined your profile. Your profile seems competitive to say the least. Probably, it was your GMAT score but it didn't seem like an application killer. I guess if you can make it elsewhere at CMU/CU/MIT/NYU/UCB, that would be great too!

Ya, I'm wondering why I didn't even get an interview...

Anyway, hopefully I can proceed further with other applications~

A bit about myself.

GPA 3.9
Certified FRM
CFA Level 1

Yes, I have applied for other schools as well, but still want to prepare for the worst case...

Thanks.
Did you meet the minimum programming requirements? I'm not seeing any c++ on your profile.

Yup, done two C++, one SQL and one Java computer science courses.

Baruch didn't provide a space for me to list how I have fulfilled the prerequisites.

So, not sure how they determine the prerequisites are met or not.

Perhaps it's because I didn't go through their Pre-MFE...

Pre - MFE is not an indispensable requirement for admission. Perhaps it was your GMAT score. Unfortunately, most programs have a cut-off for standardized test scores in order to convince employers and ranking surveys that the admitted cohort is top notch. You could have mentioned how you completed your prerequisites in your application essay. The only way you'd know is if you ask them. Also, I'd move on if I were you and concentrate on your remaining applications. If you get an admit that you're content with, I'd recommend that you accept it rather than wait one more year and then re-apply since there is no guarantee you'd get in the next year as well.

If you do eventually decide to wait another year and are looking forward to re-apply to Baruch, I'd recommend that you do the Pre - MFE program to augment your chances.

A bit about myself.

GPA 3.9
Certified FRM
CFA Level 1

Thanks.
musashihk - any applicant can send an email on May 1st to wsas.graduate.studies@baruch.cuny.edu inquiring about the admission decision. We will then look over the application and suggest what could have been improved to make the application stronger.

Based on your posted profile, and without having looked again at your application, a weak point is not obvious.

any applicant can send an email on May 1st to wsas.graduate.studies@baruch.cuny.edu inquiring about the admission decision.

Why do you have a specific date for such requests and not a range of days ? Does the Baruch MFE program believe it to be realistic to ask applicants to send a mail on a specific day rather than in a range of days or before a deadline ? What happens if someone is consumed by another impromptu responsibility around that day and is unfortunately forced to send in the mail on May 2 or 3 or April 30 preemptively? Would you disregard his/her request then ?

I had my interview on 19th April and haven't heard back from them since. There has been no update in tracker since April 2nd when some results came out.

Is it the end of the road...worked so hard the whole year for this :(

Thanks Andy. Dan has been saying on the forum that they will be updating students the reason of their rejection after May 1st. That is why I assumed May 1st to be a deadline.

Got the result :( and crying myself to sleep. Worked so hard for this, the pre-MFE was tough and I did very well in those too.

I don't see the message now, but somebody did post kind and effective words for me. Thanks for that.

Well I have a positive from Columbia MSOR. I have also applied part time in CMU and NYU. Hope to get a better result from these institutes.

Back