• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch Programming Environment

Hi All,

I just had a quick question about what the programming environment is like at Baruch in terms of OS / IDE is used. Do students generally program on their own computers with some flavor of Unix, SSH to school accounts, use Visual Studio or something else?

Thanks!

amm.....and what if i dont have a laptop for first semester....

i mean....what about the facility in college ??

available round the clock ?

amm.....and what if i dont have a laptop for first semester....

i mean....what about the facility in college ??

available round the clock ?

If you have to splurge on any item for your study, the laptop is #1 priority.

Dear Aditya,
The schedule of computer resources are listed here
and you can also borrow a laptop for one to two days on the third library' floor
The majority of computers might have everything you need, like visual studio and SAS. They have Matlab on 6th floor VC building, and connectivity to Reuters/Bloomberg API in Subotnick Center.
However I have to agree with Andy on this, laptop should be your #1 priority :) :smt024

thanks.

appreciate the prompt reply.

will really look forward to your advice.

thanks once again.

If you have to splurge on any item for your study, the laptop is #1 priority.

A relative is willing to give me a refurbished laptop. However, I'm not sure if it's up to snuff.

It's a Compaq Evo N610c. It goes for about $350 new online, but this one has a memory upgrade to 512MB (instead of 256MB) and MS Office Professional '03. It has a mobile pentium 4-M 2Ghz processor.

I figure I would have to throw in another 512Mb of ram (1 gig is its max) and a new battery, which would total about $150 as an investment.

Could this thing handle a new Baruch student's computing needs, or am I going to regret not getting a new one?

Thanks.

Back