• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best online virtual stock market?

A google search for the title gives dozens of results; can anyone recommend a good game/simultion engine for a rookie who wants to learn more about how stock markets work?

Hmmm. Quantnet have should a yearly virtual stock market competition. Each participate starts with $100,000 and are able to utilize any methodology to try and win (except for cheating). ;)

There are a host of problems with "stock simulator" competitions, the biggest one I know is the fact that since no real money is at stake, everybody has a call option to win it. So the logical strategy would be to simply bet the farm on some penny stock (note, no market impact!)

A better competition would have several rounds, with ranking determined by the participants' average rank over those rounds.

virtualstockexchange.com
i remember using this during my drexel freshman year for stock trading competition

Longtime Quantnet members will remember that we used to have a virtual trading platform where everyone has a 100K play money. It uses 15 min delayed Yahoo finance feed which does not update between 4pm and 9AM.
After awhile, people recognize this and took advantage of the huge delay to load up their book. When Yahoo keep changing their feed format, the effort to get this easily-gamed platform is no longer worth our time and effort.
That said, I like the idea of having several rounds and having a limit on the position so people can't bet the farm in one stock/option. If there are any platform out there with a decent API, I'm certain to look into it.

How about you approach www.collective2.com and propose a joint venture? I haven't tried them yet, so don't know their terms and as to whether they charge any fees, but should give one a fairly good idea as to their potential real world performance.

Longtime Quantnet members will remember that we used to have a virtual trading platform where everyone has a 100K play money. It uses 15 min delayed Yahoo finance feed which does not update between 4pm and 9AM.
After awhile, people recognize this and took advantage of the huge delay to load up their book. When Yahoo keep changing their feed format, the effort to get this easily-gamed platform is no longer worth our time and effort.
That said, I like the idea of having several rounds and having a limit on the position so people can't bet the farm in one stock/option. If there are any platform out there with a decent API, I'm certain to look into it.

Is it gonna be back again on QN? It is not necessary to be on web site, it can be an independent platform as a separate software with QN interface, members' access, chat, etc. I could do such thing myself but the only thing preventing is the lack of database. I had done it for small group of university students but it finished since the server was my own computer which had to be on 24/24 and I couldn't do that on my laptop. And for PC, I had a relatively small memory.

We used the Stocktrak software in my MBA program (2005-2006) - they also ran an investment challenge during that timeframe sponsored by eFinancial Careers and Merrill.

After flying me in, Merrill politely informed me that I wasn't from a target school and thus would not be considered for internship or new grad positions (ironically, none of the winners were from target schools) :mad: But I digress...

Seems Stocktrak still hosts these competitions.

http://www.stocktrak.com/

...After flying me in, Merrill politely informed me that I wasn't from a target school and thus would not be considered for internship or new grad positions...

I had a big argument with the HR People in charge of this at Bank of America Merrill Lynch when I worked there. They didn't have a plausible answer.

We used the Stocktrak software in my MBA program (2005-2006) - they also ran an investment challenge during that timeframe sponsored by eFinancial Careers and Merrill.

Seems Stocktrak still hosts these competitions.

http://www.stocktrak.com/

Well, there seems to be significant number of people involved whether registered or not (as they say "helped"):
For over 20 years, our virtual trading platforms and websites have helped over 3,000,000 individuals learn about the markets and practice their trading skills.

I wonder how big database is expected to handle such information storage in one year for the similar application. I mean to store and proceed data as the typical platforms do.

Back