• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE BOSTON MA mathematical finance vs Rutgers MSMF vs USC MAMF

which is better among them on the basis of placement??

• USC MSMF

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • RUTGERS msmf

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • BU MAMF

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters
Among the three univs which 1 do u prefer for the mathematical finance course..
according to the placement scenario..

The problem with this question is that the three programs you mention do not publish their placement record. As such, anyone saying this program has better record than the other is purely guessing. Quantnet people don't seem to do that a lot.

In any case, people would eliminate USC for the location disadvantage alone. Have you tried calling the depts directly?

Since I don't know anything about placement at these schools, I would go along the lines Alain suggested and pick Boston because of location :)

Since I don't know anything about placement at these schools, I would go along the lines Alain suggested and pick Boston because of location :)

Yuriy, you might be thinking about Boston College. I don't recall any Boston University sports team... maybe hockey?

Alain, when I said "along the lines" I meant that you picked different criteria - sport - to choose USC. My criteria is location, since I would rather go to Boston than to NJ or CA :)

Even for sports, why go to USC? The Trojans are way over rated. If you want sports, go to Boston. Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics...doesn't get much better.

I was talking about college sports... but I'm totally biased against Boston in every regard.

I would tout the BC football team, but I don't care much for them, since they are in the same conference as FSU. It's funny that you mention your bias toward Boston sports, because I feel the same about New York. :D Especially the Yankees.....

I would tout the BC football team, but I don't care much for them, since they are in the same conference as FSU. It's funny that you mention your bias toward Boston sports, because I feel the same about New York. :D Especially the Yankees.....
The only difference is that I used to work for a Boston Company. I didn't care about the Patriots or the Celtics... after working for that company I always root against them.

The dislike for the Red Sox is by default.

Just out of curiosity, arent there also jobs in CA for those that graduate from that program at USC. I mean not everyone will want work on work street. And it is quite natural to go to a 2nd tier school if someone cant make it to the top notch ones like NYU and of course Baruch.

Yuriy, you might be thinking about Boston College. I don't recall any Boston University sports team... maybe hockey?

Boston U has a good hockey team, though I'm not sure how good they are this year. Boston College has great ice hockey (Frozen Four again this year), good football and usually decent basketball. My freshman year they beat #1 Notre Dame on the last game of the season, made it to the Sweet 16, and won the Beanpot.

Just out of curiosity, arent there also jobs in CA for those that graduate from that program at USC. I mean not everyone will want work on work street. And it is quite natural to go to a 2nd tier school if someone cant make it to the top notch ones like NYU and of course Baruch.

I think if your goal is working somewhere other than Wall St, or a Wall St-type firm, then you'll do just fine going to any decent program. After all, its the knowledge you crave. Though, I'd find it a bit strange for someone to study financial engineering yet have no interest in working at a Wall St-type firm.

I'm sure there are opportunities in CA. Obviously, though, you have better odds of landing a high-paying job in NY or London. Well, at least you did...

Reading this thread, I have came up with a question :)

Given that you were accepted to 2 equally weighted schools (in terms of everything you care about) but one school has a great Football team and the other does not. Would that really matter to you? :) Would you go to the one with a Football team?

If I had to make that choice, I would probably go to the school with the football team. But if that football team happened to be a rival or a part of the same conference as my alma mater, I would pick the other school.

If I had to pick between BU and BC, cēterīs paribus, I would without a doubt pick BU. I'm currently at FSU and BC is in the same conference as FSU. In recent years, BC has become somewhat of a rival - especially last season when we dashed their hopes for a run at the national championship. :D

There are jobs in CA in asset management firms, hedgies and a few local branches of IB (DB has its CA branch there). The problem is that most of these firms are not very well known and it's very difficult to find out about their job postings.
Just take a look at the firms that employ USC graduates http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/CAMS/MF/#stu
there are plenty of local firms. If you don't want to work on Wall Street, then it fits the bill nicely.

On the other hands, one has to wonder about the job opportunities in CA when majority of UCB MFE graduates go to NYC for their internships and jobs.
Now with UCLA starting a new MFE program, what once a small market becomes a smaller job market.

If I had to make that choice, I would probably go to the school with the football team. But if that football team happened to be a rival or a part of the same conference as my alma mater, I would pick the other school.

Does that mean you would never go to UF? :) I've heard that people take UF vs. FSU rivalry very serious :)

UF? UF? UF??? Yes, the rivalry is quite intense to say the least. It's probably one of the biggest rivalries college football. To answer your question, I would never attend UF, let alone set foot on that campus. I dislike UF even more than I do the Yankees.:D

Who cares about FSU or UF? One is in Tallahassee and the other one is in Gainsville... have you ever heard from any of those places? Thank you :D

LET'S GO HAWKEYES!!!

Back