• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Boston MFM v/s UMN MFM v/s Claremont MFE v/s OSU MSQCF

which one is the better college and degree.. i have to make a choice between these colleges..

One of the things I like about Claremont is the fact you get to choose electives. However, I do not know much about their placement. I was told only 30% of domestic students found jobs by the time they graduated. If your a top 5 or 10 students, you are guaranteed an internship. The school is beginning to develop relationship with firms on the East Coast. I know this because I talked to an alumni of the program after being accepted into the school. I have heard from others on QuantNet that they have a niche in the energy markets. If you are looking for diversity, this may be the most diverse school on your list (BU would be just as or slightly below).

I do not know much about OK St. But given the school's location, I bet you anything they have ties to many energy firms. This is just a hunch. You should call the director and ask for companies that actively recruit students in this specific track and internship/full time placement stats. Also, look at the curriculum to see if this is a "quant" program or a program that is closer to a MS in Finance.

The MSFM at Minnesota is new. I do not know much about it. However, I will say that their mathematics programs is one of the best in the country and the city itself is one of the best for young professionals. Many companies have their headquarter there, like Target, Cargill, Best Buy, and Allianz. However, not many financial institutions (US Bancorp is in Minneapolis). Also, lots of snow during the winter.

As for BU, a current student told me that the program is quite intense and that some courses are very theoretical. He said some of his friends were hired by the Big 4 (Deloitte, PWC). Not many banks and the people he knows ( which is not the entire class), have taken jobs that are less "quantish". Most of the career fairs were organized for the MBA students. However, the faculty and administrators of the program are some of the best I have talked to. They do not hide behind anything so if you have questions, they will give you answers.

My biggest advice is to call these programs. Ask to talk to the director and the career services center. Have them put you in touch with current and former students. Ask for statistics.

UMN MFM is relatively new..they havent given any placement details..i am worried only about the placements from this college post course..but the mathematics school is very reputed..
Boston is a bigger brand name among all of them..but is worth spending 90k$ on the course there..(the syllabus is excellent)
Claremont,where i like the syllabus..is expensive,nt a big brand name,and isnt located in a business district or city either..if u have to search for jobs post graduation,u will have to do it in other cities..which makes it more difficult..
UMN being cheaper than boston or claremont,does it fit the bill? or will it more sense going to umn instead of boston or claremont?

hirings at BU:
Our alumni work for dynamic companies and organizations in major cities around the world. The sample list below demonstrates the wide spectrum of recent alumni employment.

My biggest advice is to call these programs. Ask to talk to the director and the career services center. Have them put you in touch with current and former students. Ask for statistics.

I'd say TRAB has done most your work for you. But really you are choosing a school for yourself. Call them up. Look at the risk vs reward.

Back