• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++: Getting Started

And it would be nice to know the rationale for choosing C++11 (in different use cases). A given course of action has consequences.

If we define what we want to achieve and work backwards.

Last edited:
@Daniel Duffy:

One can see that Bjarne has put a lot of thought and effort into making this introduction work well for those completely new to programming -- his thinking is outlined in "Programming in an undergraduate CS curriculum", which I think is worth a read, too: http://www.stroustrup.com/software.pdf

my 2 cents

In general, I agree with the drift of this note. I don't know the CS education in the USA. In EU however, university CS education -grosso modo- tends to be very theoretical and lacking in real-life relevance. Most developers in the Netherlands are graduates of what could be called polytechnic colleges (HTS/HBO) and tend to very practical and are able to hit the ground running. Quite a few employers prefer the latter for this very reason. My own company Datasim employed (only) HBO graduates.

Very few (if any) universities here do C++, preferring Java since it is considered to be <QUOTE> 'pure object-oriented' <UNQUOTE>

Speaking as a dinosaur/engineer of the Fortran 66 era I see CS as a branch of engineering. Domain knowledge is the foundation/glue upon which to develop your software skills. We had to understand the 'voice of the customer'.

Most graduates are not CS, thus what do we do with them?

"can architect software" is infeasible for recent graduates. It takes years of experience in one or more domains.

And I suppose it is fair to say that much more software maintenance is being done in industry than greenfield projects. Do any CS education address this issue?

Last edited:
Back