• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ online certificate for MFE applicants

I know you touched on this before but I want to clarify about the timing of taking this course with respect to applying for the Baruch MFE program. Suppose I am planning apply before Jan 1st (for a fall 2012 start) but I am enrolled to begin the online c++ course in Feb 2012. With this start date, I would complete the course before starting the MFE.

However, at the date of applying for the MFE I have not completed of even began the c++ course. In this circumstance, does the fact that I have not completed c++ course by application time mean that it will not be useful for my application?

With respect to applying for the Baruch MFE Program, if you started this online C++ course and are on track to complete it by the end of May 2012, we would be in a position to offer admission conditional on the successful completion of the course by the end of May.

Your application would have to be strong enough to warrant interviewing, and you would still have to successfully pass the two rounds of interview. You would not be asked C++ questions, though, during the interviews.

Hi,

Does this course follow the new standardof C++ (also known as C++11) so we can learn about null_ptr and other stuff that it brings ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Does this course follow the new standardof C++ (also known as C++11) so we can learn about null_ptr and other stuff that it brings ?

Thanks.
This is not supported on all compilers and it is too advanced for now. It is not announced in TOC. It's like 2nd dan black belt, while this pre MFE course has a different goal (blue/brown belt).

It will take years before C++ 11 becomes mainstream.

Given the fact that many of us plan on using this C++ course to fill a requirement for some other program, it would be helpful if you could release some kind of expected wait time for those signed up but not yet started. Personally, this course is my first choice but if the waitlist is so long that I will not begin the course in such a time that it will be useful in my applications, I would be better off taking my chances with another C++ course that I could start immeediately.

Could you offer any advice on this?

Thanks,
Dillshau

When do you think the next group will start and how can I learn my group number? I am sorry, but I don't think I received or noticed the e-mail you sent on October 24th.

Yes I got a confirmation e-mail, I also received an e-mail on September 29th. I'll write a pm about this.

Dear Andy and Daniel,

I know this has been asked many times but I've never seen a clear answer. I understand that it's impossible to say how long the waiting time will be if I sign up today. But can you give some kind of indication? Are we talking about 1 month, 6 months or 12 months?

What happens if I sign up today and in February I get told that I can start the course but for other reasons (e.g. taking other courses) I can't start until March?

Best regards,
DT

Are we talking about 1 month, 6 months or 12 months?

What happens if I sign up today and in February I get told that I can start the course but for other reasons (e.g. taking other courses) I can't start until March?
Thanks for your interest, DoubleTrouble.
We have several hundred people in our waiting list and we will do our best to inform them of their number in the waiting list and other updates via frequent emails. So you will see your numbers moving in the queue throughout our emails. That would be a better indication than to say right now how long each person should wait.

When you sign up, there is a question on when you expect to start (most people wants to start the next week). When your number get closer, I would personally contact each one to see if their plan has changed and to determine if the course is a good fit for that person and he can dedicate enough time for it in the next few months.

When you sign up, there is a question on when you expect to start (most people wants to start the next week). When your number get closer, I would personally contact each one to see if their plan has changed and to determine if the course is a good fit for that person and he can dedicate enough time for it in the next few months.

This was very much what I hoped for. Very professional! Thank you for you quick answer!

Best regards,
DT

Dear Andy and Daniel,

I know this has been asked many times but I've never seen a clear answer. I understand that it's impossible to say how long the waiting time will be if I sign up today. But can you give some kind of indication? Are we talking about 1 month, 6 months or 12 months?

Best regards,
DT

DT,
On a technical level, it is possible to do the course in N months, where I think a lower limit is N ~ 3. If you do the exercises etc. on a regular basis and keep in contact with the TAs then it is certainly possible to do it in the allocated time.

hth
Daniel

Hi Andy,

Quick question.How many times a year is this certificate offered?Can you give the 'start' months of this certificate for 2012?Thanks

Hi Andy,

Quick question.How many times a year is this certificate offered?Can you give the 'start' months of this certificate for 2012?Thanks
Hi pchin
The course admission is on rolling basis year round so we admit students every month from our pre-register list. If more students finish the course in a given month, we will admit more new students that month and so on.
With the course now a 16 weeks course, hopefully more people will be able to join in 2012.

Andy,one more question after going through FAQ's.

Is the successful completion of the course contingent upon a satisfactory level of perfomance in the homeworks/exercises or does it just depend on the final exam performance? Is there a scope for a C++ project with real world application during the course?Thanks

Andy,one more question after going through FAQ's.

Is the successful completion of the course contingent upon a satisfactory level of perfomance in the homeworks/exercises or does it just depend on the final exam performance? Is there a scope for a C++ project with real world application during the course?Thanks

In general, completing the course contents will keep you busy enough without geting involved in more advanced applications. If you get Module VI done you will be well on your way to more advanced applications.

Is there any active C++ online course to join? How much do they cost and what are the durations? Thanks

Edit: Just read below closed thread by Andy Nguyen. Interesting.

Please watch this topic with email notification. I'll have something for you very soon.
I am already in the waiting list numbered 72, but not informed how long should I wait for being enrolled? You said in the newsletter that each class will contain only 40 people and will be at most 4 months to complete, however, I do not get it that how is this program going through? Should the next class wait for the ending of the first one until they can be enrolled or they can start when the first class is in the middle progress? Cause I want to initiate this program ASAP, so waiting for your respond soon, appreciate it.

Back