• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSOR vs. BU MSFM vs. Rutgers-MQF vs. Claremont MFE

I have no idea as it wasn't me who made that comment.

Probably PhD's in Quantitative Archeology...I would assume they would be the most likely candidates... ..lol..jk.

I have no idea as it wasn't me who made that comment.

Probably PhD's in Quantitative Archeology...I would assume they would be the most likely candidates... ..lol..jk.

Quantitative Arch. I think Hardvard is starting a program in that .. LOL you did not know (Ha Ha)

You're competing against every student in your class, your badge from the year before and before that who did not get jobs, and every other student in every financial engineering, financial mathematics program, graduating from the 40+ universities now that offer the program AND PhD's of Physics/Math/Engineering of top schools and not top schools who have sudden changes in their career goals... and Masters and undergrad of quantitative subjects who get exposed to this field...computer scientists from India...etc etc etc...

You are looking at it the wrong way. Your classmates and alumni should be your first line of networking. They could be the ones that get you in on an interview.

You are looking at it the wrong way. Your classmates and alumni should be your first line of networking. They could be the ones that get you in on an interview.

Well if you see it that way, then yes...You're competing with all your classmates...and the other students in the university in different fields with interests in similar jobs...eg. Math Masters, PhD's , etc.

so are you saying that going to a program with a lot of students can also be beneficial because there will be a lot of alums to network with?

Yes, that is exactly what he means. The alumni is a perfect way to network. That would sure help you. Also, more the number of students, more is the discussion among the students. Although it sure does have one more disadvantage.. the concentration of faculty on each student decreases as the number increases.

Let's start by saying this is completely offtopic.

so are you saying that going to a program with a lot of students can also be beneficial because there will be a lot of alums to network with?

This could be a double edged sword. I don't know where the balance is with the amount of students. What I said works for small programs because the relationships are better.

If there are a lot of students, you don't get to build these relationships because by nature you only interact with a small subset of the whole class.

The other common thing in these programs I have seen is that asian students tend to hang out with asian students and indian students tend to hang out with indians. We are always trying to "break" these clusters for their own benefit so they can mingle with all other cultures.

true. this got me thinking a bit. eventho i am an intl student from Asia, I have been in the US for both high school and undergrad. I have more American friends than ppl from my country now. Not really sure which "group" I belong to at Columbia...

There is a distinction between association and active alumni network.
Not every program has an active alumni network, or any organized association for that matter. What you are looking for is an active network of alumni who are actively involved in providing feedback, mentor, job referral for current students.
Columbia has hundred of thousand graduates and you can't count on any random Columbia alum for a job lead using Columbia as a shared association. I just use Columbia as an example.

Before one says something about "alumni network", one should research into if the "relevant network" exists before counting too much on it. I know many programs who graduates have done little once they are gone.

This is more important for students of short, niche programs like MFE programs because students usually interact very little with the university at large during their short time. You are most likely to see only your classmates and alumni during the whole program.

Hi, I got an AD from Claremont Graduate University MFE program with 35% scholarship. Can anyone comment on the Claremont MFE program. Can anyone comment on the programs strengths, weakness, placement record etc.. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. I also an offer form Rutgers MQF program with 12k scholarship. Which would be the best choice for me?

Hi, I got an AD from Claremont Graduate University MFE program with 35% scholarship. Can anyone comment on the Claremont MFE program. Can anyone comment on the programs strengths, weakness, placement record etc.. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. I also an offer form Rutgers MQF program with 12k scholarship. Which would be the best choice for me?
among the two rutgers..

check out this thread for more on CGU: http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/ucla-mfe-vs-usc-mfe-vs-cgu-mfe.5996/page-2. I know nothing of Rutgers but if you really want to work on the east coast then probably go to school there (save money on flights for interviews/networking).

Back