• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Corona Virus discussion

I really hope for a speedy recovery but the headlines are painting a more dire picture. CA residents are now ordered shelter in place for one month. CA estimates that half of its population may be infected over a 8 weeks period.
State Dept is asking citizens to not travel abroad or stay where they are if they are stuck.
It looks like it's too little too late now.
On the other side, the congress is working on how much to give each US citizen. Some proposals mention $1,000 person. Others mention a monthly payment until this is over.

On the bailout side, i find it very distasteful that Boeing is going for a 70B bailout. How much did they spend buying back their stock over the last 5 years? Not to get all zero hedge, but ffs, maybe a cash cushion would have been handy.

Reports emerging from the Imperial college London (along with CA Gov est ), that around 50% of USA would be affected. Thats mind boggling.
Italy which appears to be struggling has 41,000 odd cases atm.
Population : 60 million
Basically its affected 0.0006% of their population. I can't imagine how 50% of the population affected would be like.

The model from Imperial College is a set of 7 coupled mildly nonlinear ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and it seems to be an extension of tbe 1927 SIR model of Kermack and McKendrick.

The full model does not seem to public domain, so it is not possible to reproduce their findings. However, the results have been published. There is "substantial uncertainty due to the current lack of knowledge about the virus behaviour."..

It is also unclear what kinds of use cases these models address.

And a system of 7 equations is not necessarily better than a system of 3 equations as we know from finance.

Last edited:
But it looks like the street and now Washington is preparing for this worst case scenario.
Goldman Sachs in their Investee call with 1500 companies and yesterday the CA governor both echoed the same sentiments.

Reports emerging from the Imperial college London (along with CA Gov est ), that around 50% of USA would be affected. Thats mind boggling.
Italy which appears to be struggling has 41,000 odd cases atm.
Population : 60 million
Basically its affected 0.0006% of their population. I can't imagine how 50% of the population affected would be like.
can you share the link, please

please keep ur single friends in ur prayers. also i assume a lot of us are asian since this is a quant forum—be careful out there

Last edited:
based on what i gathered during the weekend and the current emini level, another shit storm is coming on monday

Anyone have any thoughts on how job market might look like for summer internship in 2021 (recruitment starts in a several months time)?

Understand the economic impact is hard to quantify for now and difficult to compare across time, but is there any inference we can draw from the recruitment situation in 2008/9?

I am looking for the link to download the genome of COVID 19 in FAST, FASTQ format. Can someone help me?

Back