• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Datasim course recognition for Baruch MFE

Does the Baruch MFE admission committee look into the consideration of completion of courses from Prof.Duffy’s Datasim website? I’ve completed the C++ for Fin.Eng done in collaboration with Quantnet and Baruch. But I recently found out that Prof.Duffy has some amazing courses on PDE and FDM on his site at Datasim. So I’m wondering whether the Baruch MFE admission committee also take into consideration the completion of some advanced courses from Datasim’s website for admission into the MFE programme?

Word of advice, a lot of colleges this summer are doing online only because of COVID-19. This summer is a good opportunity to find any college that will let you take a course as a non-matriculated student and you will not have to travel anywhere, all the while getting credit on your transcript. PDE's might be hard to find for summer, but if you look long enough you might find one. I do not know what other courses you need, but I've seen so far across a few colleges for this summer, Numerical Methods, probability, stochastic processes, statistics, linear algebra and the other basic pre reqs needed for MFE programs.

I was able to obtain some information on online credit based courses from calc I - III and linear algebra through University of North Dakota and some others. But couldn't find any other universities/colleges that are offering Numerical Methods and Stochastic Processes online though.

Word of advice, a lot of colleges this summer are doing online only because of COVID-19. This summer is a good opportunity to find any college that will let you take a course as a non-matriculated student and you will not have to travel anywhere, all the while getting credit on your transcript. PDE's might be hard to find for summer, but if you look long enough you might find one. I do not know what other courses you need, but I've seen so far across a few colleges for this summer, Numerical Methods, probability, stochastic processes, statistics, linear algebra and the other basic pre reqs needed for MFE programs.
I do maths courses all year round, including PDE. You can start any time you like. And my PDEs are geared up to computational finance.

Hunter College summer courses include but not limited too.
CSCI 70300 - Data Structures in a high level language
This course will provide aspiring and practicing teachers with a deeper knowledge of computers science. Students will study data representation in computer systems and data abstraction techniques. Topics covered include static and dynamic storage methods, lists, stacks, queues, trees, recursion and analysis of algorithms and their applications relevant in a classroom setting.

CSCI 70700 - 01 Modern Topics and Concepts in Computer Science
Sample topics include functional programming, data mining, computer graphics, and artificial intelligence.

Stony Brook, City College and Brooklyn College both have a data structures course running in the summer but both are for undergrad.

The links are for Stony Brook CS department and there AMS department respectively, both undergrad. I do not think Stony Brook has graduate level courses in the summer.

I do maths courses all year round, including PDE. You can start any time you like. And my PDEs are geared up to computational finance.
I've looked into your PDE course, it looks really impressive, quite thorough. I plan on taking your C++ course over the summer, as I do not think many colleges teach programming basics properly. I was merely giving the original poster a suggestion if accreditation from a college was the only concern.

I hope after this pandemic is over, people would get conditioned to take and accept online courses. In many cases, the quality of online courses are much better, more convenient for students and teachers. This is specially true for technical courses such as programming, math, etc.

Hunter College summer courses include but not limited too.
CSCI 70300 - Data Structures in a high level language
This course will provide aspiring and practicing teachers with a deeper knowledge of computers science. Students will study data representation in computer systems and data abstraction techniques. Topics covered include static and dynamic storage methods, lists, stacks, queues, trees, recursion and analysis of algorithms and their applications relevant in a classroom setting.

CSCI 70700 - 01 Modern Topics and Concepts in Computer Science
Sample topics include functional programming, data mining, computer graphics, and artificial intelligence.

Stony Brook, City College and Brooklyn College both have a data structures course running in the summer but both are for undergrad.

The links are for Stony Brook CS department and there AMS department respectively, both undergrad. I do not think Stony Brook has graduate level courses in the summer.
I’ve taken the course at sbu with that Professor would definitely recommend it

I hope after this pandemic is over, people would get conditioned to take and accept online courses. In many cases, the quality of online courses are much better, more convenient for students and teachers. This is specially true for technical courses such as programming, math, etc.

Exactly. I'm working full time and a lot of the Math courses were conducted during morning and afternoon hours. Online courses would open the courses for a wider audience.

By any chance, did you take Numerical analysis or Mathematical statistics at Stony Brook? If so were they in-depth, good classes?
I took AMS 412- Mathematical Statistics and it was a great course. It really prepared me for my first two minis in data science and would definitely take. I took the first three weeks of AMS-326 but dropped it because I just didn’t have enough coding experience to pass the course. The professor is hilarious and I would recommend taking the course of you can already code

What is maybe useful to know is that I personally mentor/supervisor the students with queries etc. As an added value (if the student has time, I realize they have a busy life) there is an option to do a (mini) project related to finance, at no extra cost. In the last 8 years I have supervised approx. 50 MSc/MFE and online students.

Last edited:
I took AMS 412- Mathematical Statistics and it was a great course. It really prepared me for my first two minis in data science and would definitely take. I took the first three weeks of AMS-326 but dropped it because I just didn’t have enough coding experience to pass the course. The professor is hilarious and I would recommend taking the course of you can already code
good to know, thanks. deciding between taking one of Stochastic Processes at Hunter, Mathematical Stats at SBU, or Numerical Analysis at SBU over the summer. Thanks again for the information.

Back