• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

DOW is under 10,000 today

DOW down 729 point and is 9,595,81 right now! Another historical day of the Street?! Are we bailed out or just sink more?:wall

It went back up when Fed announced emergency $900B injection into the system:

The Federal Reserve will provide as much as $900 billion in cash loans to squeezed banks in an urgent effort Monday to break through a dangerous credit clog that threatens the economy and has unhinged financial markets around the globe.

How long this $900B will last this is a question.

Painful? Yes. Long? I disagree. We only have to look back to the past to see how "long" these crises are with the speed of information. It lasts only until those with little information go bandwagoning to the next bubble.

Ilya,

Which past are you looking at as a frame of reference? I would agree with you that the recession proceeding the bursting tech bubble was not very long, however I think that the problems today are MUCH more significant than a simple unwinding of speculative investments.

Remember that many of the conditions present in today's market have not been seen since the Great Depression. With the significant bailouts of European institutions this weekend it is apparent that there is still a significant amount of deleveraging to be done.

I think that the major effect of this deleveraging will not simply be a writedown of assets held on these institutions' books, but a global shift in the philosophy of the securities industry and appetite for risk. In my opinion, these conditions would point to a much more prolonged slowdown than you are forecasting.

I think I agree with Christian, reading about the massive privatisations that are occurring in Europe, watching the USA slowly implode, I can't see any quick recovery from this.

Astounding to think that only a bit over a year ago, the share market was going only up, people were talking about an Aussie composite average of 7000+ and a commodities boom set to last 20 years....

Fast forward, and our market is at < 4500, the mining boom is in doubt as less chinese companies buy up minerals to make televisions for americans, and I watch "conservative" Europe follow America down the drain.

I think banks themselves will probably adjust their operations considerably, but I don't have much faith in the role of governments to achieve anything significant. Just my opinion...

Back