• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

FAQ: Advanced C++ and Modern Design Online Course

Dear Dr. Duffy,

Is it for the people who completed C++ Online Certificate with distinction? If not, would it be not recommended much?
See the first post in this thread regarding the prerequisites for the course. Distinction in the previous course is not a requirement, as long as your knowledge and skills are up to scratch.

Dear Dr. Duffy,

Is it for the people who completed C++ Online Certificate with distinction? If not, would it be not recommended much?
Someone with a decent knowledge of C++ (and human drive and motivation) will have a good time :)

I look forward to taking this courses.
Not sure if this has been stated somewhere...but when does it start?
Dear Dr. Duffy,

Anyone who completed the original course can now sign up immediately for the advanced C++11/14 course :)

The link to make payment is https://www.quantnet.com/account/upgrades

I am looking at the systems requirements. I see that I need access to 2015 version of DreamSpark. I am not a student. Is there a way to get temporary access through the course programme itself?

I am looking at the systems requirements. I see that I need access to 2015 version of DreamSpark. I am not a student. Is there a way to get temporary access through the course programme itself?
Where did you see that you need DreamSpark for this course?
You should be needing Visual Studio 2015 for the advanced course. You can download the community version online for free.

For someone with Intermediate level knowledge of C++, on average how many hours per week would be required to finish the course in time?

For someone with Intermediate level knowledge of C++, on average how many hours per week would be required to finish the course in time?
How you define intermediate? You really need to be fluent with object orientation, inheritance/polymorphism, boost libraries, template programming, basic STL algorithms, and the rest of the modules taught in the C++ for FE certificate:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/faq-c-for-financial-engineering-online-course.7376/

Having accomplished distinction in the first course, it still took me 4.5 months to complete it, committing a daily minimum 5-6 hours. See my testimonial here:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/c-...plinary-applications-cert-testimonials.26517/

The more experienced you are and the more comfortable you feel with the above concepts, the less time you will spend on the straightforward questions, and the more time you will have to tackle the few difficult questions per level.

Last edited:
I am the originator so difficult to say :)

Pavlos's 5-6 hours per day might be an upper limit depending on all kinds of factors. Not everyone has 6 hours in a day.

I reckon the best continuity is to devote a couple of time blocks at the weekend e,g. 10-12 hours Fri/Sat/Sun.

I would really really try to get modules 1&2 in 3 (at most 4) weeks. 2 is easier than 1.
3 is OK but a lot (multi-threading std::thread is tricky!)
4 is Ok but a lot
5 good design approach
6 is your application .. get it working first and then embellishments, chandeliers, brass doorknobs, Waterford crystal and gold plating, e.g. don't over-engineer it :)

@APalley

Hi, I was wondering if one can perhaps take this course on a Mac. I know of an IDE called CLion, developed by Jetbrains, that fully supports C++ 11/14 and boost. I'm not sure what made visual studio a required IDE (relative ease for grading hw?) but maybe there's a way to work around it?

I've tried setting up a virtual machine on mac before but it's unstable and less comfortable to work with. I do have a windows laptop but didn't bring it with me since i didn't plan to take advanced c++ this summer. rip.

Many thanks for help

Back