• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

First phone call with recruiter

Hi

I am scheduled to have a phone conversation with a recruiter tomorrow. This is my first conversation with him. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of what to expect. Will the discussion center around my resume - projects, experience etc. Or will it be more like a technical interview ?

Thanks.

Well, it depends on the position and company.

Usually phone interviews are more of a screening process, though. I would say the best way to prepare is to know a few specifics about the company and have answers ready for those typical false negative questions, e.g.,

"What is your biggest flaw?"

"I tend to be very invested in the outcome of my work, which can sometimes lead to disappointment. For instance, I got an -A on my 7000 level Nuclear Reactor Physics test which got me down, because..."

I've only had one phone interview go "quant"... It was a bit odd.

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my question - actually what I meant by recruiter was headhunter. So there isn't a specific position.

Back