• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

God's laptop

Believe it or not that story dates back to 1989. Too long for Quantnet. Had to do with their old OS and stubborn hardware. They may have gotten a facelift but many of their principles have not changed.

This is my "excuse" for hating them:

They charge approx. $500 more for comparable PC products while adding nothing save a weak OS. Anyone who claims Apple OS is stronger and more capable than Windows or especially Linux is either misled or inexperienced. There is a reason why so few businesses use Apple.

They make their products (software and hardware) look pretty and really do not have a solid excuse for charging their prices.

What ends up happening is since they are so user friendly (AKA can't do very much but the layout was designed for preschoolers) that people become obsessed with them and buy Apple products for the rest of their lives.

As mentioned before I have a whole list of strong and reliable PC manufacturers. I have the freedom to move around and purchase other products as they evolve. Mac users are addicts.

Mac can stop improving their products and just switch the case coloring of their Macbooks and they will still sell like hotcakes to all the poor helpless addicts.

If I have offended any Mac users I apologize. I know you are going through a hard time and I feel for you.

Quantnet should hold official M.A. (Macaholics Anonymous) sessions.

Anyone who claims Apple OS is stronger and more capable than Windows or especially Linux is either misled or inexperienced. There is a reason why so few businesses use Apple.

For Apple: One of the biggest uses of Mac that come straight to my mind is its use in Media Industry. It is used heavily for video/audio editing.

Anyway, as we are NOT businesses, but people, our demands are totally different from what businesses want. What is good for businesses is NOT necessarily good for us.

We (most people) want an OS that is easy to use. There is no point in having an OS, no matter how strong it is, if you can't figure out how to use it (At companies you have hardcore tech professionals who can run theses OS, but NOT the normal guy on street). You wouldn't want to spend an entire day figuring out how to connect to WiFi. For this reason, Linux is a failure among common people. Most people can't figure out how to use Linux. As Mac OS X has become more refined and tolerant, its demand has risen (look at the shipments of PCs in last 2 quarters. All Windows powered PCs took a beating.)

... while adding nothing save a weak OS.

Son, you are forgiven since you have worked in Windows your whole life. It doesn't look you have worked with Mac OS X and you just discover Linux this past summer.

I'm working to make sure you learn to use a real OS :).

Ross, I wouldn't call our prof as "misled or inexperienced".

@ Alexei

I request you to see reviews on Amazon.com on any Mac laptop/desktop. Many of the comments come from the people who until recently used Windows their entire life, and most of them are extremely happy with their machines. Further, they defined Windows OS/ PCs as shoddy, unreliable, unstable, difficult to use, and poorly built.

Also, many of them, who were skeptical because of the high price, did infact say that the price was justified the price, because of the unbeatable experience they get.

Anyone who claims Apple OS is stronger and more capable than Windows or especially Linux is either misled or inexperienced.

could you sustain your claim? I'm waiting to hear how Windows as an operating system is more capable than Mac OS X.

Ross, I wouldn't call our prof as "misled or inexperienced".

That's ok. We are all learning. :)

I don't like to critizise manufacturers anymore. However, when it comes to the operating system I'm sort of biased.

I contend Apple is in the "trash" category. Sorry apple fans, but zero choice means you get crap shoved down your throat when the next brilliant apple engineer decides a cooling fan is unnecessary.
What's your point? We always have a choice to use or not to use Apple.

What's your point in posting the above image? The image is for an App, and I talked about a PC. This is like me posting a review on a App intended for Microsoft. It has nothing to do with OS/hardware, and from my experience, majority of the Apps designed for Windows are absolutely junk, and many of the others are infected with viruses. Using Apps designed for Apple, you are ensured that they are virus free.

Also, you are totally mistaken that you cannot return your laptop. You can return your Mac. In fact many people, who are Mac owners, actually stated this on Amazon.com

It is funny that you state that Apple faces no competition, and then give no reason to back that argument. Please, also, explain how Mac does not get away with building a garbage? Also explain how that hardware or the OS is garbage? These statements seem frivolous, for many Windows lovers have themselves admitted that the hardware used in Mac is of superior quality.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9103958/Survey_8_in_10_businesses_now_using_Macs

In fact, as you may read in the above article, many Windows fans/developers actually have started using Macs for running Windows. I myself have used Windows and found its performance to be way superior on a Mac. In fact, MS office runs better on Mac than other PC, but the opposite cannot be said to be true. Try for instance opening itunes or Safari on a Windows PC, it takes eternity.

P.S I have used H.P and dell, and both have shoddy colling systems. My H.P - 3 year old- heats up even when I use chrome, and my dell-i3 processor- heated up (cooling fan problems) on playing games such as NFS hot pursuit.

P.S Macbook Pro offers probably the best battery life-5-7 hours- among all comparable laptops.

P.S The plastic body of my H.P has completely cracked, and paint on the dell scraped off within 6 months. Mac's aluminium body protects against both.

what would you hope to accomplish with this $5,000 machine that you can't with a $1,000 machine?

You can find machines with better config, including macbook pro, costing much lesser than $5k.

Other than the fact that it weighs 2.5 lbs, there is nothing that this laptop offers that others don't.

On a pure computing power basis-given it's just dual core i7- it is highly overpriced, even by Apple's standards.

Sony laptops have crappy quality, they should stick to making consumer electronics.
Strongly disagree - and I work with laptops all day. You might have had one bad experience, but I would be willing on betting that you just messed it up yourself.

For example: Coffee+Laptop keyboard = No good. Even a precious Mac btw.

I guess this belongs here

21021.strip.gif

MRoss, Alexei Smirnov: you really passionate about hating Apple, don't you? why bother spending so much energy hating something?
Careful with your wording. Let me clarify:

Things I HATE:
1) What Mr. Obama is doing to our country
2) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
3) Terrorism
4) Nancy Pelosi
5) ...

Things I strongly dislike:
1) Liver
2) Stubborn security guards
3) Long lines
4) ...

Things I think are just no good
1) Cavities
2) Ponzi schemes
3) Apple
4) Bedbugs
5) ...

Strongly disagree - and I work with laptops all day. You might have had one bad experience, but I would be willing on betting that you just messed it up yourself.

For example: Coffee+Laptop keyboard = No good. Even a precious Mac btw.

No coffee, not me. That was crappy hardware: MB, HD, Camera, cooling design. I know what I am talking about, my first masters is in Computer Engineering.

Lol. Tell that to the 1,000 PHDs in engineering creating the stuff.

BTW - I just found this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10400447-1.html

Tell me thats not awesome. They seem to agree with Alex about Asus but I was spot-on about every other company. Sony is the third to most reliable company according to them btw.

Back