• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Google+ is really awesome.

when Google started gmail service, there were plenty already in the market. I remember there were folks even pays to AOL for their email services. But the 'unlimited' factor and the awesomeness in what they have delivered had made them standout. The company has turned out to be "For people" when it comes to social value. Yahoo doesnt have that much and MS / Apple is no way near. Can Microsoft give their Win 8 OS for FREE with Nokia phone / HP give out their Web OS.. Like Android did. ? I am not sure. Though FB is at par here, their awesomeness factor still lacks perfection. I am sure G+ will certainly make an impact.

I remember what Gmail was like in the beginning. It was revolutionary (I also remember what skype was like when it came out... and facebook...). While everyone else offered 15 MB of storage they gave you a gig. Gmail was a sledgehammer to hotmail and yahoo mail. They couldn't field a comparable product even a year after Gmail's launch.

Video chat with 2 people at once instead of 1 person at a time? I don't know, man. Plus, unlike with email, this time Google doesn't have the ability to integrate with their direct competitors, which was as crucial to Gmail's success as the extreme revolutionarity of it if you ask me... If you couldn't send email to your buddies on hotmail or yahoo mail or their work email from Gmail, my prediction is it would have died.

Alexei is right about how gmail trashed yahoo mail etc.

However I disagree that Yahoo et al could not make a better product, I believe they chose not to.

There's no overwhelming technical reason why they couldn't provide more space, they did not believe that doing so would make more money.

If anything, I say RIP to facebook - it will take some time, maybe even a couple years - but FB is done.

I hear yea - but even a shiny "in the moment" toy ,potentially worth billions, spells opportunity to me

great article man - I completely agree with it, but its nice to see that google isn't willing to stop short of anything but the best
I would hope so, they have their reputation at stake and that's the only thing keeping their bloated stock where it is ;)

I quite like G+ through for some reason I'm not allowed to have more than 5262 friends,and before you ask I can't work out why that precise number.
Seems a bit function lite though.

Back