• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GS trading source code stolen

This is wild. It appears the code stolen is only the one the guy worked on (equity). Otherwise, I don't know how he would be able to steal the whole secret sauce.

The guy's LinkedIn profile is at Serge Aleynikov - LinkedIn
[IMGa=right]http://media.linkedin.com/mpr/mpr/shrink_80_80/p/1/000/006/15a/3381783.jpg[/IMGa]
Serge Aleynikov
VP, Equity Strategy at Goldman Sachs
Greater New York City Area Information Technology and Services
Current
VP, Equity Strategy at Goldman Sachs
Past
Director, Routing R&D at IDT Corp
Lead Development Engineer at IDT Corp
President, Sr. Technical Director at Orbit Communications & Networking Dimension
see all...
Education
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick
Moscow Institute of Transportation Engineering (MIIT)
Recommendations
5 people have recommended Serge
Connections
146 connections
Public Profile
Serge Aleynikov - LinkedIn

Anyone wants to connect to him ;)

May be he was about to be fired, and he took the source code of the trading system with him.

One thing is weird, the guy seems smart given its recommendations and its cv, so how they caught him ?

<a title="View Complaint Aleynikov on Scribd" href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/17118166/Complaint-Aleynikov" style="margin: 12px auto 6px auto; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,Sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 14px; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; -x-system-font: none; display: block; text-decoration: underline;">Complaint Aleynikov</a> <object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" id="doc_667207128158192" name="doc_667207128158192" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle" height="500" width="100%" > <param name="movie" value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=17118166&access_key=key-gcoep6mqehev4i3cg8t&page=1&version=1&viewMode="> <param name="quality" value="high"> <param name="play" value="true"> <param name="loop" value="true"> <param name="scale" value="showall"> <param name="wmode" value="opaque"> <param name="devicefont" value="false"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"> <param name="menu" value="true"> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"> <param name="salign" value=""> <embed src="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=17118166&access_key=key-gcoep6mqehev4i3cg8t&page=1&version=1&viewMode=" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="opaque" devicefont="false" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="doc_667207128158192_object" menu="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" salign="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="500" width="100%"></embed> </object>

<a title="View Serge Posts Bail on Scribd" href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/17149366/Serge-Posts-Bail" style="margin: 12px auto 6px auto; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,Sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 14px; line-height: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; -x-system-font: none; display: block; text-decoration: underline;">Serge Posts Bail</a> <object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" id="doc_12581005589894" name="doc_12581005589894" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle" height="500" width="100%" > <param name="movie" value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=17149366&access_key=key-wniikzm3duxyjk76zy3&page=1&version=1&viewMode="> <param name="quality" value="high"> <param name="play" value="true"> <param name="loop" value="true"> <param name="scale" value="showall"> <param name="wmode" value="opaque"> <param name="devicefont" value="false"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"> <param name="menu" value="true"> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"> <param name="salign" value=""> <embed src="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=17149366&access_key=key-wniikzm3duxyjk76zy3&page=1&version=1&viewMode=" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="opaque" devicefont="false" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="doc_12581005589894_object" menu="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" salign="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="500" width="100%"></embed> </object>

thanks for all these details Andy :)

Yes, thank you.

If it wasn't clear who the complainant was, it is now completely obvious. What other major financial institution with a wide variety of products whose dominance is contingent on proprietary technology gave Aleynikov a key card and a log in?

What if Aleynikov had worked in the back office at some point and had known that GS saves your bash history, and how to circumvent it (like, running a copy of your own shell and deleting that history)? What other steps could he have used to cover his tracks if he knew the security features better?

GS is lucky this guy is a high tech Russian who used computer tools to copy the software and leave a trail allowing for his arrest. I know the code is thousands of lines but this low tech Greek would have copied the important algos to a piece of paper a couple of hundred lines at a time and eat the paper for dinner later the same night. Most devastating spy and commercial espionage cases have been decidedly low tech over long periods of time.

When I worked at Lehman (mid 80's-91 )we had a computer room in the Amex Tower of WFC and Merrill Lynch was located in the adjacent building a couple of hundred feet away. At that time the Russians had so thoroughly bugged the brand new American Embassy in Moscow that the State Dept. was thinking of demolishing it and starting from scratch. With all the high tech spying in the news a Lehman Sr. VP asked me if someone from Merrill could point a device toward our data center windows and capture our streaming data. I said sure they could for $10 Million dollars or they could just pay a Greek I know $500 thousand and get a daily tape delivered to them. :D

It seems he wanted to use for this code in his new job in Chicago, where he was about to be paid one million a year.

I'm sure this happens all the time. Somehow this guy got caught because he might have made some big mistake uploading the data (or bragged about it to somebody).

I've had the opportunity to talk to a few journalists covering this, and my previous life has given me a view of GS, and how they protect IP...

I of course talk to some of the stream of algotraders leaving GS, and so although I have no first hand knowledge I have access to an interesting stream of views, albeit one with noise and bias. But for obvious reasons I have avoided talking to them, lest they put something in writing that could be misinterpreted.In fact I habitually tell ATs to purge any home work files very thoroughly, my gold standard here is to physically destroy the disk, since file recovery with a $1-5K budget will get quite a lot back.

He is not a client or candidate of ours which means a) I am allowed to talk about this, b) I only know what I'm told.

I am told he'd been sucking stuff out for a while, which is odd, since if someone working for me was stealing serious stuff from my firm, the latency would be how long it took security to arrive at his desk, not days and certainly not weeks.

He says he was working at home, and his behaviour appears to be consistent with that, especially the weak measures he took to hide what he was doing. He's a low level network guy, been there done that and as I spent an hour explaining to one journalist there are many ways one might acquire the source code leaving no trace at all.
Of course P&D use a technique for catching this stuff, that from the deposition, GS are unaware of... but even that can be traduced.

One assumes GS locked down USB ports, though this is surprisingly difficult to do properly.

You may have noticed that several of the follow up articles mentioned the serious pay differential between ATs at GS and what they can make elsewhere. I believe that most of this is down to htem talking to me :)

I can't pretend to fully know the internal political dynamics that drive GS bonuses, perhaps you could see it as like the view I have of the Iraq war from TV and newspapers.
But I get the Aljezeera feed, and never watch Fox except to use it as a threats on my kids for misbehaviour.

It's clear to me that GS has not treated the ATs as well as they would like. They have used emotive language to me about this, though given that most earn >= 20 * the average Joe, they aren't exactly slaves.

Slaves can't quit, but these guys can & do quit (pretty much all guys, women are hen's teeth in this sector), however GS appears to have got seriously pisѕed at this, enough to try very specific legal remedies.

It is interesting to me that as yet they don't seem to have played the vicarious liability card against the new employer. Possibly because anyone who can pay people at 0.1 Hz can fight back.

The choice of day to arrest the guy, was a mystery until you think it though.

Who amongst us if arrest on July 4th could find a vicious lawyer quickly ?
I could, but being a HH is borderline criminality anyway ;) I interpret this as a softening up tactic. This sends a message to other staff who are thinking of leaving and helps GS negotiate.

He's admitted to taking some files, but a good defence can be made of the fact that this is a standard work practice in most industries.

Equally interesting is the way that certain parts of GS seem to have stopped trading for a while. I assume that here we have an audience who knows that even if someone takes a copy of your source code, your executable still runs.

There's multiple interpretations.
One is that GS feared that they wold be gamed against by someone knowing their strategies. That's hard but possible. However to work a game against a strategy takes time to figure out, and the time sclaes here don't easily fit.

The other is the nature of AT systems. Although much work goes into technical stability, the algos themselves are inherently unstable. They exploit defects in the market, and stop working when they heal, or conditions change. They can decay or suddenly stop working, and a good % of the code and work load is to catch the fadeout and stop trading in the right timesecale. Then you either rejig the strategy or go find a new one.

If you lose the people who built your algo system, then getting to the point that you trust it again is not quick or easy. ATs are very secretive naturally, so anyone not in the core team would easily be mystified. As an example of one FI system I had to go and fight, the variable names bore no resemblance to their nature, but instead were letters from the Klingon alphabet. Some of the Windows source code I once had to meddle with had puns pased upon Def Leppard (80s rock band) .

Thus losing your people can get very expensive, very quickly, and people will get angry both with each other ,and the guys who left. Someone obviously knew someone at the FBI...

I doubt it will help GS even in the short term, in fact I see it costing them real money. Inevitably some security measures will be put in place, both technical and procedural, that will get in the way of development that by its very nature needs to be highly flexible and responsive.

Protecting source code is fiendishly difficult,
Imagine (for instance) having to demonstrate "need to know" each time you want to look at a part of the code you want to adapt or fix.
What if your supervisor isn't their to let you in ?
How do you monitor the supervisor ?

If you look at "too many" modules will get grief ?

GS and other ATs must guard against highly motivated, highly skilled people who have real money to use in buying gear. If your code makes $10M a year, it can justify technical gadgety, or simple bribery.

J.S. Kim in seekingalpha:

It's curious to note that Goldman Sachs has admitted that it has developed trading software that could be used to, in their own words, "manipulate markets in unfair ways", yet nobody in the mainstream media has questioned whether Goldman Sachs was / and is using its proprietary trading platform to manipulate markets in unfair ways.

Hehe, no further comment necessary.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, isn't there an obvious way you could manipulate markets if you had the biggest player's playbook? That is, GS could be using it appropriately just to do trading, but if someone else had the software, they would know what GS does and could front run them and otherwise manipulate prices to profit off GS. Under this scenario, the software is not necessarily capable of manipulating markets on its own; it is a function of its predictability that one who steals it can also abuse it.

The rest of the article is hogwash - July 2nd behaves like a normal trading day because it isn't really the day before a holiday, and to build a conspiracy theory around trading volume on a given day just means you don't understand what "usual" and "average" mean. July 3rd is the day before a holiday. All that stuff about oil seems like it's just ladling sludge from the bottom of the barrel to fill up column space, no pun intended.

The rest of the article is hogwash

Rest of the article is hogwash. But if I were in GS's position, I'd be trying to manipulate the markets. It's nothing new. I'm pretty sure GS has been doing this and for just this reason it won't take this thing to court. In their position I wouldn't.

Back