• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help with Course selection...

AnthonyJW

Student
Hello all,

I am a undergrad Mathematics major, and planning to pursue a MFE degree afterward. I already have the standard courses scheduled (like Probability, Monte Carlo, Stochastic, Programming I, etc.). Although, I have a elective spot available and I am trying to determine which course would help me in my pursuit of a MFE program. The elective course are below. Thanks for the help.

Advanced Calculus I
Mathematics of Statistics
Graph Theory
Mathematical Modeling
Combinatorics
Theory of Numbers
Elements of Modern Algebra
History of Mathematics
Differential Geometry
Algorithms, Computers and Programming II
Methods of Numerical Analysis
Introduction to Mathematical Logic
Fundamental Algorithms
Advanced Calculus III
Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable
Theory of Functions of Real Variables
Partial Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems

Hello all,

I am a undergrad Mathematics major, and planning to pursue a MFE degree afterward. I already have the standard courses scheduled (like Probability, Monte Carlo, Stochastic, Programming I, etc.). Although, I have a elective spot available and I am trying to determine which course would help me in my pursuit of a MFE program. The elective course are below. Thanks for the help.

Advanced Calculus I
Graph Theory
Mathematical Modeling
Combinatorics
Theory of Numbers
History of Mathematics
Differential Geometry
Fundamental Algorithms
Advanced Calculus III
i would take numerical analysis. and then PDEs later.

I agree with Raj.

1) NA
2) PDE
3) Advanced Calc 1... what material does that cover? The Advanced Calc 1 course I took was very helpful.

rajanS and MRoss, Thank you for your help.

MRoss, The Advanced Calc I course covers the following:

This course presents a rigorous treatment of the limit, continuity, differentiability, and differential of a function of one variable. Other topics include real numbers and the axiom of continuity; convergence of a sequence of real numbers; elements of point set topology; and extensions and generalizations of the law of the mean.

This course presents a rigorous treatment of the limit, continuity, differentiability, and differential of a function of one variable. Other topics include real numbers and the axiom of continuity; convergence of a sequence of real numbers; elements of point set topology; and extensions and generalizations of the law of the mean.
advanced calculus is useless. just take subjects that have a lot of applications. numerical analysis is very useful. anything that involves c++ or vba i would take it and load up on it. take an intro to fin math as well.

advanced calculus is useless. just take subjects that have a lot of applications. numerical analysis is very useful. anything that involves c++ or vba i would take it and load up on it. take an intro to fin math as well.

He will need it for stochastic theory.

Hello all,

Advanced Calculus I

Graph Theory
Mathematical Modeling
Combinatorics
Theory of Numbers
History of Mathematics
Differential Geometry
Fundamental Algorithms
Advanced Calculus III

Hi Anthony.

I myself am a baruch undergrad and I was an actuarial science and econ major. Funny we never crossed paths. However, knowing the baruch curriculum, you definitely need more programming. Advanced calc I isn't that rigorous so I suggest you take it at a more technical school like city college and I didn't even know baruch offered numerical methods but I know hunter has a decent class on it.

Thank you guys for your advice.

Andrew, I will definitely look into it. And we probably never crossed paths as of yet because I am a transfer student, starting this fall. This would be considered my junior year. Hope I see you around though.

This sounds like the basic calculus course that was mandatory in my first year of my B.Sc, unless the syllabubs is very misleading this sounds like a mandatory course for anyone that is going to have a degree in mathematics.

This sounds like the basic calculus course that was mandatory in my first year of my B.Sc, unless the syllabubs is very misleading this sounds like a mandatory course for anyone that is going to have a degree in mathematics.

According to a lot of my friends, that class is very simple.
Thank you guys for your advice.

Andrew, I will definitely look into it. And we probably never crossed paths as of yet because I am a transfer student, starting this fall. This would be considered my junior year. Hope I see you around though.

Oh. Then good luck at Baruch! I am currently an MFE student at Baruch right now and we can meet up at Baruch if you would like.

Back