• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I am very good at computer programming but very average at maths... can I be a quant?

Hi guys,

In the next 4 days I have to take an important decision, I hope you can help me choosing the right one.

Im studying Applied Statistics (2nd year this september). From what i have seen and people told me, I have natural talent for Computer programming. I'm very good programmer without much effort, actually since the second third class in C++ I could understand what the whole program does...
I've got the highest mark in the 3 subjects related to computer programming this year (C++, SAS Base). It doesn't matter how complex the program is, I can program it if I know the "tools".
However the C++ seen is very basic (basic programming, conditional sentences, loops, arrays, matrix, structs, functions). We are not going to see OOP.

However I suck at maths, well actually I'm not so good like in Computer programming, with some effort i can get high marks as well..., but you know what i mean, im not a math genius.

One thing to be said is that I love Investment Banking and everything related with it, so my options in order to break into IBanking is as a quant or as a no-quant position.

My options then are:

1) Switch to a major in Computer Science (the problem here is that I have to start from first course)
2) Swith to a major in Finance & Accounting and try to pursue the CFA at same time
3) Stay at Applied Statistics (And take some additional CS courses + maths courses)

for investment banking, a degree in finance will suffice. know the ins and outs of the financial statements.

However the C++ seen is very basic (basic programming, conditional sentences, loops, arrays, matrix, structs, functions). We are not going to see OOP.

How is it possible to do C++ wihout OOP? And templates is also an essential part of C++.

My options then are:

1) Switch to a major in Computer Science (the problem here is that I have to start from first course)
2) Swith to a major in Finance & Accounting and try to pursue the CFA at same time
3) Stay at Applied Statistics (And take some additional CS courses + maths courses)
1 or 3 will do.

1 or 3 will do.

Hey Andy, I'm thinking about a new option, I know 1 or 3 its maybe the best one but the worst thing about education in Spain is that we have tons of subject in our degrees which we are only going to use about 20% of it later..., so the the other 80% is a waste of time

However the option I find more attractive right now is the 2), just because about 60% of the subjects are very similar to the CFA lvl1 and 2, so after all is not a waste of time.

I've checked Baruch College's MFE and it requires:
  • Knowledge of Finance, as demonstrated by one undergraduate class or work experience
  • Calculus (two semesters)
  • Probability (one semester)
  • Linear Algebra (one semester)
  • C++ programming skills at the level of one undergraduate class, or by completing a certificate degree
So personally I prefer to do a major in Finance & accounting and a minor in Maths picking the subjects above. So then I prepare the GRE exam + CFA lvl 1 + maths courses + C++ certificate.

I'm afraid that I fail in the quant field, so if that happens, I can fall into Finance or accounting at least. What do you think about this option.

I've checked Baruch College's MFE and it requires:
  • Knowledge of Finance, as demonstrated by one undergraduate class or work experience
  • Calculus (two semesters)
  • Probability (one semester)
  • Linear Algebra (one semester)
  • C++ programming skills at the level of one undergraduate class, or by completing a certificate degree

These are just bare minimum requirements. Options 1 or 3 will give you better background/ foundation, if you plan to do quant down the line.

I'm very good programmer without much effort, actually since the second third class in C++...
This doesn't make you a good programmer.

Major red flag. C++ without OOP is not real C++. Also, I didn't see pointers or memory management in your list. So, I'm sort of doubtful of the claim about being a "very good programmer".

At least you knowledge you lack math skills. I'm sure you lack programming skills too.

My advice, stay in your current program. Where do you go to school in Spain?

This doesn't make you a good programmer.

Major red flag. C++ without OOP is not real C++. Also, I didn't see pointers or memory management in your list. So, I'm sort of doubtful of the claim about being a "very good programmer".

At least you knowledge you lack math skills. I'm sure you lack programming skills too.

My advice, stay in your current program. Where do you go to school in Spain?

I go to University Complutense of Madrid. Why do you recommend me to stay in my program if you say that C++ without OOP is not C++?

programming genius may show at an early age, whereas software design genius tends to take more time to ripen.
Hah I've heard the same thing except with "programming" replaced with "math" and "software design" replaced with physics".

As far as i have seen to be a good quant you need a good mathematical aptitude.So better *try* to get good at maths.Score good grades,take internship and try to improve your programming skills as much as you can by doing some project.Going by that logic (3) looks the best option as you can study mathematics and take some CS courses.

@Stelin What are you particularly programming if you don't touch math - graphic design? If interested in IB, one should be using related programming skills. As said above, the power of C++ without without OOP is car without steering-wheel.

One thing to be said is that I love Investment Banking

You need to be more specific about the work activities that you want to pursue. Inside Investment Banking, do you want to do programming, pricing, structuring, documentation, sales...? and the list goes on.

Back