• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Impact of Oil on Russian Ruble

Hi. I have to research for my school project how do changes in oil price impact Russian Ruble, so can you guys give me some advices. In below link I found one page 19 one equation so is it relevant? I know they are highly collerated, oil up, russian ruble up vice versa, but I have to empirically prove that.

Best regards

http://www.ssb.no/a/publikasjoner/pdf/DP/dp617.pdf

If your knowledge of basic economics is that bad that you're searching for random equations in research papers to do this thing, you're probably in the wrong field.

Hi. I have to research for my school project how do changes in oil price impact Russian Ruble, so can you guys give me some advices. In below link I found one page 19 one equation so is it relevant? I know they are highly collerated, oil up, russian ruble up vice versa, but I have to empirically prove that.

Best regards

http://www.ssb.no/a/publikasjoner/pdf/DP/dp617.pdf

Do the hard work,

Take the dump of USD vs Ruble exchange rate for past many years
https://www.quandl.com/CURRFX/RUBUSD-Currency-Exchange-Rates-RUB-vs-USD

Take the dump of Oil price
https://www.quandl.com/BP/SPOT_CRUDE_OIL_PRICES-Spot-Crude-Oil-Prices

Run the regressions. Find correlation

Create your own equation.

For those who understand Russian:

http://kypc.ru/blog/finance/50851.html

c15aa8cdbe625f8de7b8d1e319e2f44e.jpg

Wow thanks for that Russian link, I can speak enough Russian. Otherwise I did already for weekly returns of USD/RUB and Crude oil and got following results from regression (R square= 0.00553; coefficient: -0.2614 and p-value= 0.1552) Start date is 1st March 2014. Thank you for all your help if you have some other recommendation just post them:)

I'm a little curious-- what were your conclusions from those regression results?

Wow thanks for that Russian link, I can speak enough Russian. Otherwise I did already for weekly returns of USD/RUB and Crude oil and got following results from regression (R square= 0.00553; coefficient: -0.2614 and p-value= 0.1552) Start date is 1st March 2014. Thank you for all your help if you have some other recommendation just post them:)

Try daily inputs, that guy is using data provided by FINAM.

If you want to learn something from this project you will have to read some papers. There was a good research on USDCAD and Oil prices relationship (I think its already 2 decades old). You might start from there. On the other hand, if you are doing this just to get a grade your analysis results will be misleading at best.

Here is what I computed in SPSS using simple multiple regression and weekly inputs for last 3 years using data from investing.com.

Attachments

• OUTPUT.pdf
    263.5 KB · Views: 65
Interesting how correlated it got oil and USD/RUB after 1st March this year, after sanctions started hitting russia :)

It's called the 'Rouble' in English. Minor point, but still it is easier to get it right than wrong.

Of course, a literal translation gives

рубль

hence the 'u'.

If anyone is interested here are results I generated today from bloomberg terminal.

best regards :)

Attachments

• rouble.docx
    252.9 KB · Views: 141
well, You can see from below picture how correct are model values compared to actual exchange rate USDRUB. As currency trader myself, I don't find it that reliable, so I will try to build a econometric model, based on VAR as they did in previous researches comparing oil and exchange rates. I will have to use STATA next week in school to buld it :)

Otherwise what I also did is CHOW test, I used different time periods lets say from 03-01-2014 to 17-07-2014 and from 18-07-2014 to 23-12-2014 and I found when I use USDRUB rate and WTI Oil price, that oil and USDRUB got way more correlated after MH-17 crash than they were before and what is interesing in 2008 when was same dip in oil to 33 dollars, USDRUB rate wasn't that affected, so I belive this whole sentiment of impact of oil on USDRUB is unrealistic and USDRUB was seriously overvalued at 60 USDRUB rate.

Attachments

• model.JPG
    model.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 125
  • regression_table.JPG
    regression_table.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
This really shouldn't be that difficult... Come up with answers to the following--

1) What is Russia's main export and source of government revenue?
2) What has happened to the price of this over the past six months?
3) What has this done to the market's perceptions of Russia's economic future?
4) What does this compel investors to do with their holdings of Russian assets?
5) What currency are most of these assets denominated in?
6) What does this (logically) do to the value of the currency?

You do not need STATA, "CHOW tests," or 10 year old research papers to answer any of this-- you're turning something into a math problem that isn't a math problem, and you're not even doing it correctly.

Thank you mate, problem is my school they demand me to prove hypothesis empericaly, so I should do some kind of multiple regression and than some Vector autoregression or some other research methods based on time series.

Otherwise myself as currency trader, all these things make a lot of sense, and what I would do as trader look at some intristic real value of USD/RUB what can be imo Real effective exchange rate and than compare it to actual USDRUB.

As I told before, if we check what happened back in 2008 when oil dipped USDRUB was unchanged so this all news about oil impact on rouble are just sentiment. I would go as far to claim if for example rouble drops 5% and oil drops 2%, russian oil exporters are better off, as it was described in article you gave me.

I attached my output from GRETL of Vector autoregression and corresponding tests.

best regards

Attachments

• VAR.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 113
  • arch test.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 112
  • autocorelation.txt
    538 bytes · Views: 116
Answers to your questions.
1) RUSSIA MAIN EXPORTS
  1. Mineral fuels including oil: $304,559,452,000 (57.9% of total exports)
  2. Iron and steel: $20,050,729,000 (3.8%)
  3. Pearls, gems, precious metals and coins: $14,367,047,000 (2.7%
2) Price of comodities
OIL (06-23-2014 to 12-23-2014) = -43.37%
NATURAL GAS (06-23-2014 to 12-23-2014) = - 16.23%

3) That corresponds as negtive economic outlook, as goverment revenues (GDP) will decrease
4) This prompt investors to sell russian assets they hold
5) Rouble
6) Devaluate ( LOL)

This make lot of sense how to now emperically proove it :D

I think the story here is that Russia in general has a higher sensitivity to the price of crude since sanctions have been imposed. The sanctions are pretty severe and have smashed Russia's growth prospects; Russia's future and bargaining power was maintained by their ability to export oil. The financing options of that one company aren't really relevant. The major Russian corporates have either borrowed a chunky amount of money denominated in USD, and/or levered up on their borrowing costs by implicitly selling USDRUB forwards and optionality. USDRUB didn't come back lower because RUB was being undervalued by the market versus the price of oil and clever traders took advantage of the mispricing, it has come lower because the central bank hiked overnight lending rates a whopping 650 bps, and then when the market tested the CBR's ability to control the currency, the central bank intervened by selling multiples of the average daily volume of USDRUB into the market day after day. The correlations you should get are basically low-positive before sanctions, high-positive after sanctions, and then basically slapped down toward zero after the central bank started hammering the market. If I were trying to empirically prove the relationship between USDRUB and oil, I'd probably want to break up time periods between noteworthy events, like those. (Side note, this doesn't mean Russia is out of the woods. A 17% interest rate isn't going to stop a run on the currency forever, and the CBR doesn't have an unlimited supply of FX reserves.)

Back