• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interview with Complex Securities Valuation Group at Ernst & Young

I have a coming interview with Ernst & Young at Complex Securities Valuation Group in TAS.
If anyone has idea about that group and interview. Please help me. Thanks.:)

I have a coming interview with Ernst & Young at Complex Securities Valuation Group in TAS.
If anyone has idea about that group and interview. Please help me. Thanks.:)
A friend of mine who worked there in the past sends along these comments. Hope it helps you out.

Any of the big 4 has a group like this with its own brand name.

Speaking from my experience, the group's main mandate is to assist with the audit arm with conducting valuation on "Complex Securities" that your audit and other type of client holds, and the product could span from simple interest rate vanillas to ABS, again, depending on the role you're assigned for. So product knowledge of those and the maths behind how they work is very important, as you'll probably find the person interview you with MFin degrees or Phds in some science disciplines.

The nature of the work, I presume, are all similar. However, the demand for your quant knowledge could vary depending on the firm. There're places where you need to do modeling, some places not so much. But having solid modeling and coding skill may dinstiguish you from your peers as there will be projects for you to flex those muscles. Good common sense and communication skill is another differentiator, given the nature the accounting firm, you'll stand out if you could explain your "complex" stuff to audiences that may not have such background.

Core skill: product knowledge, maths and intuition behind those
Pluses: modeling, coding and communication

Hi Andy,

What field did your friend move into after leaving the firm? Does he see this type of work as a starting point for a future career in trading/modeling type work?

Back