• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

iPhone: coolest gadget of the year?

Andy, besides being with the crowd on Wall Street :) what other advantages do you think Blackberry has over Palm Treo? What are the things that Blackberry can do that Palm treo cant?

The way I'm thinking is the following. If Palm Treo runs some sort of Windows, then there should be more applications available for it (don't know about the OS in Blackberry). The more applications, the better :)
One problem with my current Nokia is that it uses Symbian OS and I can't find applications for it. Took me a long time to find a PDF file reader, but so far I cannot find a good web browser (that handles advanced features of the Internet properly).

Yuriys,

I have a Palm Treo 650 and I like it a lot. I have always had Treos so I'm really familiar with Palm OS. Regarding the applications, there are thousands and thousands of applications out there for Palm OS. Some of then are really cool and useful and some of them are not. Let me know if you want to know more, I can show you mine in class.

BTW, one of the coolest applications is called Pda Net. It allows you to use the Treo as a Modem so if you have a high speed connection on the Treo (like EDVO), you can use it with your laptop from anywhere. I have used it in the past and I really like it.

I'm down with Palm OS. Palm originally had it right with their devices in the 90's. Then they got too complicated and lost market share to MS. The original handheld device suffered the same fate (I am of course speaking of the Newton).

A friend of mine has a device (Treo?) with MS and has to restart it almost every day due to freezing.

I'm down with Palm OS. Palm originally had it right with their devices in the 90's. Then they got too complicated and lost market share to MS. The original handheld device suffered the same fate (I am of course speaking of the Newton).

A friend of mine has a device (Treo?) with MS and has to restart it almost every day due to freezing.

I have a Treo 650 with Palm OS. My brother has a Treo 700p with Palm OS. We used to have Treos 600 each. No problems whatsoever with the OS or the apps. The only issue with 600 was the static in the communication but that was fixed in the 650. I will highly recommended to anybody.

I can't say anything about the Palm with Windows though.

BTW, I have a BlackBerry 7902 for work and that doesn't come close to the Treo 650. I have to carry both around. If I lose the BB, I can survive (it happens already twice). If I lose the Palm, I'm in big trouble.

Andy, besides being with the crowd on Wall Street :) what other advantages do you think Blackberry has over Palm Treo? What are the things that Blackberry can do that Palm treo cant?
I own neither so i don't have first hand experience. Blackberry uses RIM software. They update it quite frequently. My future BB will have GPS, Wifi, Ipod capacity.
Everytime I plan to buy something, I do extensive research on it.
Not sure if you know this site, but this is one of the best sites about hand-held device
www.howardforums.com
For Blackberry, I do www.blackberryforums.com

I'm aware that BB is very business oriented so their software is quite pricey. But if you do research hard enough, you can find any piece of software. I'm very resourceful when it comes to info digging ;)

I own neither so i don't have first hand experience. Blackberry uses RIM software. They update it quite frequently. My future BB will have GPS, Wifi, Ipod capacity.

In my old Palm I have MP3 player, a SD slot for more memory (I have Madden 2006 in mine so I can play football), bluetooth and I can get adapters for GPS and TomTom, WiFi, etc.

Alain, thanks for the information :)
If I buy Palm Treo and we all will be around this forum at that time I'll ask you a few questions. High speed wireless internet is a great thing, sometimes I'm using my Nokia as wireless internet provider but its too slow :)

Andy, thanks for the links! Looks like I have a lot of info digging and phone hunting coming this summer :)
I wonder if any wireless carrier has a feature where you can get 2 phones and see which one you like and return the other after one month :)

Andy, thanks for the links! Looks like I have a lot of info digging and phone hunting coming this summer :)
I wonder if any wireless carrier has a feature where you can get 2 phones and see which one you like and return the other after one month :)
Verizon has some kind of "test" period. They let me use the phone and comeback and exchange it if I didn't like it in the first 15 days. They just made sure I already signed up with them.

Alain, thanks for the information :)
If I buy Palm Treo and we all will be around this forum at that time I'll ask you a few questions. High speed wireless internet is a great thing, sometimes I'm using my Nokia as wireless internet provider but its too slow :)

As far as I know the only two services that offer something like high speed are Verizon and Sprint using EVDO. My Treo 650 doesn't support EDVO but my brother's Treo 700 does. The highest speed I could get with my 650 was 144Kbit/sec.

My Nokia can get a maximum of 100 Kbps, which is OK only for browsing web in one page :)
It seems like in addition to the phone, we need to carefully research service providers.

AT&T has a high speed internet. The current one is not as fast as Sprint. They have a new one coming out in the next year or so that is supposed to be real fast.

Woody, since you mentioned AT&T. How is AT&T related to Cingular?
Somewhere on their website, Cingular has a phrase "Cingular is now the new AT&T". What has happened to AT&T? Is it a part of Cingular or a separate company?

It's all one company, but like Sprint and Nextel, I imagine it will take a couple of years to fully combine.

I hope that by the time I decide between BlackBerry and Palm Treo most providers will have Hi-Speed Internet and I won't need to choose my provider just because of that :)

I hope that by the time I decide between BlackBerry and Palm Treo most providers will have Hi-Speed Internet and I won't need to choose my provider just because of that :)
By the time you find out which one is better, people will telecommunicate by superwave thoughts. No need for any device then. Just focus and send your thought across to someone else and they will get it. :)
Buy Blackberry now and enjoy the moment.

By the time you find out which one is better, people will telecommunicate by superwave thoughts. No need for any device then. Just focus and send your thought across to someone else and they will get it. :)
Buy Blackberry now and enjoy the moment.

Cingular won't let me upgrade my phone until July, so I hope people won't be able to telecommunicate by superwave thoughts by July. I will take a week off from school and study cell phone forums ;)

Nice joke by Microsoft :) but maybe some people would buy a phone like this if it gets manufactured ;)

T-mobile just released Blackberry 8800 ;)
$349 with a plan

T-mobile BB8800

250x270.jpg

Back