• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Java important?

I know most of quants use C++. But, can someone tell me if Java is also popular in financial industry? Thanks!

In the "financial industry" there is a lot of Java, but in quant financ it's pretty rate. It's behind C++, C, C#, VBA, SQL, and Perl.
In the last month I have spoken to more working quants who use F# than Java.

If you already have Java skills, you are a useful part of the way to learning C++, since Java has a common ancestor in the same way that humans share an ancestor with chimps.
(Apologies to any creationists here).

In the "financial industry" there is a lot of Java, but in quant financ it's pretty rate. It's behind C++, C, C#, VBA, SQL, and Perl.
In the last month I have spoken to more working quants who use F# than Java.

If you already have Java skills, you are a useful part of the way to learning C++, since Java has a common ancestor in the same way that humans share an ancestor with chimps.
(Apologies to any creationists here).

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/member.php?u=140Hi DominiConnor, I actually already had C++ skills. Now, I am considering to learn another language. Which one do you think is the most useful tool for finding a job in quant finanance.

If you're great at C++, I suspect that filling in some hole in another part of your skills portfolio is optimal.

Forgive me for saying this, but the odds are that the best IT investment of your time is probably more C++, not another language.
Unless you are really really good at C++, the sort of jobs you probably want are more likely gained by a bit more C++ than half-finished skills in another language.

A quant who absolutely kills every C++ question thrown at him will do better than one who gets 99% at C++ and 80% of SQL/Java/VBA/Matlab

Occasionally SQL seems to be in interviews, not often though.

But in balance, in a tough market, there is another way of looking at your skills.

A few managers like minority languages. Someone with F#, SmallTalk, Fortran, REXX, won't hurt his chances with most people who filter CVs. But it might catch the eye of a recruiter who then pulls you in for interview.
It's a free option, albeit one deeply out of the money.

OK, not "free" because you have to be able to answer basic questions on it, if you put "basic F#" he may see you as a person like him who thinks out of the box.

Thanks for your advices. Are scripting languages important? I found Perl is required by many jobs.

Thanks for your advices. Are scripting languages important? I found Perl is required by many jobs.

If you work in IT, scripting languages could be very useful but knowing perl is not going to decide if you get a quant job or not.

Back