• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Masters in Financial Engineering necessary?

Hello. I was wondering if M.F.E. is necessary to become a quant or get involved in hedge fund in general. Is it more a title or an absolute necessity like Doctors needing M.D. to practice medicine or Lawyers needing J.D. to practice law. Sorry for such a novice question.

Weird question, but here is the answer: You need something.

MBA from Harvard. Experience from a top tier bank. An MFE.

Something to distinguish yourself from the 10,000 other applicants. Not to mention when it comes down to the technical interview questions an MFE will be better equipped to answer those questions over any one of the others I've mentioned.

Weird question, but here is the answer: You need something.

MBA from Harvard. Experience from a top tier bank. An MFE.

Something to distinguish yourself from the 10,000 other applicants. Not to mention when it comes down to the technical interview questions an MFE will be better equipped to answer those questions over any one of the others I've mentioned.

For the benefit of the OP, a real MFE, not the shitty ones being hustled by the likes of Dogdick University.

What's considered DDU for you?

It would be impolitic of me to say. But if you have to get an MFE, stick with the tried-and-tested programs : CMU, Baruch, Columbia, Berkeley, etc. And a bit of history: most of the DDE MFE programs started getting set up around ten or twelve years ago. It was akin to the California Gold Rush: DDUs saw there was an opportunity to make some coin with programs set up on a shoestring. Too many were set up, and most of dubious quality. They need to attract students. So they lie through their teeth about what they offer and the subsequent job prospects. Caveat Emptor in the US of A.

It would be impolitic of me to say. But if you have to get an MFE, stick with the tried-and-tested programs : CMU, Baruch, Columbia, Berkeley, etc. And a bit of history: most of the DDE MFE programs started getting set up around ten or twelve years ago. It was akin to the California Gold Rush: DDUs saw there was an opportunity to make some coin with programs set up on a shoestring. Too many were set up, and most of dubious quality. They need to attract students. So they lie through their teeth about what they offer and the subsequent job prospects. Caveat Emptor in the US of A.

Thanks for the input. Just curious, where would the likes of MIT Mfin, UChicago MSFM, Columbia MAFN, UCLA MFE fit?

Thanks for the input. Just curious, where would the likes of MIT Mfin, UChicago MSFM, Columbia MAFN, UCLA MFE fit?

It gets subjective. MIT, okay. Columbia, okay (I guess), UCLA, ... dunno. UChicago, I admit to a negative bias. Sound out other people, dig around, ask questions -- I'm no final authority.

It gets subjective. MIT, okay. Columbia, okay (I guess), UCLA, ... dunno. UChicago, I admit to a negative bias. Sound out other people, dig around, ask questions -- I'm no final authority.

Of course, but your the bigbadwolf ! jk lol. I was just curious of your opinion. Thanks.

Back