• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Is that true that round 3 is less likely to get admitted?

just started to think about applying and maybe it's too late... Anyone knows about the possibility of getting in as applying in round 3? Thanks!

you don't think you are strong enough to compete against more applicants ?

At one level it doesn't actually matter does it ?
You apply when you apply, the chances may be lower but there is no siginicant change in your choices since it is out of your hands.

roni has a good point that if you are marginal for this line of work, is it your best choice of career ?

Also, although I believe Andy's model in general, I do not believe that it hold for all courses at all schools.
We have a continued increase in supply of MFE courses, we also see a drop in demand. Easy to see how that might leave a course with more places to fill than it expects. This is increased by the fact that it is rational to apply to multiple courses.
That means that some people are getting a place at somewhere 'higher' than they might have when times were different. They then decline the offer from lower places.
That means the job of making the right number of offers is harder, and inevitably some places will get it wrong by either over-offering, or suddenyl realised that they don't have a full class.

Can anyone clarify if the same holds true for part-timers as well?
Also is there any ratio they stick to regarding the class composition in terms of no. of students admitted to part time?

I am planning to apply for part-time in the next few days to CMU.

Also one doubt regarding the list of Mathematical Sciences courses. I am a physics major .. so pretty much all of the subjects I have done come under mathematical sciences. Do I have to list all or the ones relevant to MSCF? Thanks :)

Back